Pain

Old 02-22-2014, 08:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
●▬๑۩۩๑▬●

Pain

Pain
~Buddy T

When I walked into my first meeting, I was in a LOT of pain. As soon as they got to the part about, "does anyone have a pressing problem..." I dumped! I ranted for 25 minutes at least! Hey, I had never been to an Al-Anon meeting before, I didn't know how it worked! I thought everyone was there to "fix" me!

The poor thing who was chairing her first meeting didn't know what to do with me! So, she just let me dump... and boy did I go on and on and on. I know now it was not the best Al-Anon meeting anybody ever attended!

When I got finished outlining all the pain and all the mistakes I had made in the past 18 years, I said I had read where the only qualification for membership was there be a drinking problem in a relative or friend, and since she was soon not to be my relative anymore, and she sure as hell wasn't a friend, I didn't know if I qualified or not!

When they got up off the floor laughing, they assured me I was in the right room! I found myself laughing right along with them. It was the first time I had laughed in a LONG time. That's what Al-Anon has given me -- "family" with whom I can share, and therefore reduce, the pain -- and laughter to help chase it away.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

HAAaaa, such a good laugh, a healing belly laugh!
Old 03-18-2014, 10:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Recovered People Pleaser

"We shall laugh more" is one of the so called promises listed in the book "Survival to Recovery", if I could only read one Al-Anon book..that would be it.