One Day at a Time

Old 02-22-2014, 08:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
●▬๑۩۩๑▬●

One Day at a Time

One Day at a Time
~Buddy T

I remember the effect it had on me the first time I heard someone say I was powerless over yesterday and tomorrow. This seems like a simple enough statement alright, but the truth is that it had just never occurred to me before.

I spent so much time worrying about stuff that was already past -- wishing that I could undo it, or make up for it somehow. Al-Anon made it simple for me to understand that was just impossible.

One of the best lessons that I "got" when I came into these rooms was there were two things that I was surely powerless over -- yesterday and tomorrow.

All I Have is Today

I may not like what happened yesterday, but I am powerless to change it. I may not like what will happen tomorrow, but it hasn't happened yet!

If I accept yesterday's mistakes and troubles and refrain from worrying about what MIGHT happen tomorrow, then I am living right in the middle of today, which is all I really have any way!

I had heard that same principle expressed many times before expressed as, "take therefore no thought for tomorrow..." but I never LEARNED what that really meant until I came into the rooms of Al-Anon Family Groups.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I heard it stated in a little cruder, graphic way:

If I'm standing with one foot in yesterday, and the other foot in tomorrow.....I'm pi$$ing on today.

I've wrecked a whole bunch of todays crying over yesterdays and/or worrying about tomorrows. It took way too long to figure out how to stand with both feet firmly planted in "today".