Notices

Doldrums

Old 02-22-2014, 08:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Doldrums

I am 7 days into/out of oxycodone withdrawl. The first few days were horrible! Beyond words... Now everything feels flat. I have no enthusiasm for anything and feel very lethargic. When does this start to lift. Oh yes... Have tried the Thomas recipe and the supplements. Don't know if they are really going anything
Old 02-22-2014, 08:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

One week is fabulous!

Remember, it's just a short time compared to the total time you were using. Give yourself time to heal. Everyone is different and we relied on a substance to create our "happiness" so our bodies must learn to make serotonin and those other happy feelings on it's own now.

Stay strong and stay stopped!!
Old 02-22-2014, 08:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you feel better soon. It might be an idea to talk to your dr, and good for you for getting through a week!
Old 02-22-2014, 08:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

To sugar bear

Thanks for kind words. I didn't take a lot of the stuff, I was prescribed 4 of the 5/325's a day. But it has been along time. Three or four years. Plus I'm not well endowed in the serotonin department in the first place! Even though I am committed to to recover my mind leaps to how I can get my hands on one about every two minutes! Lol I keep hoping I'll find one languishing in the bottom of my drawer or purse! Pathetic!!!
Old 02-22-2014, 08:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

Hug

Keep moving forward. Time does help us to heal.

Not pathetic, it's how our bodies have learned to deal. It just has to learn to Undeal and to work naturally!!

Old 02-22-2014, 08:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you . My Dr. Is a very compassionate woman and will help me however she can...but that might be the reason I'm in this mess in the first place! )
Old 02-22-2014, 09:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the SR family. We have a substance abuse forum you might be interested in. Give it a look.

I'm glad you found us and joined the family.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I understand. Hoping it will get better soon. Congrats on 7 days!!!
Old 02-22-2014, 09:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for encouragement. Am I the only one who finds this set up confusing? I guess that too will take awhile to get used to. I don't know whether I'm coming or going!
Old 02-22-2014, 03:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Damnine - if you find something confusing here, feel free to ask

D
Old 02-22-2014, 03:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks. The website is complex and I've only begun this journey, so I'm just nosing around, trying to figure it all out. I'm so impressed how generous people are and how they respond. It's a lonely business this wd if you have no personal experience with it.
I think it was when I first started to feel a little bit better that my urge to go back started. Just like... God missing the kind of rush of energy that I'd get and feel like I could motor through anything. Trying to remember what used to make me feel good.
Old 02-22-2014, 03:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had to be sober for a while before I felt good again. Early recovery is hard, but it gets better...stick with it

D
Old 02-23-2014, 05:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Although this is getting better physically, this has been by far the worst emotionally. It's day 8. I have been very weepy and sad. Like I could cry a river.
I guess the reason I became addicted to painkillers is cause they gave me a false sense of well being. I have a lot of reasons to be sad. It's a little overwhelming.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Tea Drinker

I understand Damnine, and am trying to figure the answers out too. Thank you for asking the questions. I can't remember how to live without the "false sense of well being" from pills that you mentioned (or from drinking which was my previous strategy). I don't think I ever knew (I was an unhappy teen before I discovered alcohol). I guess we need to learn how to feel good without chemicals of some kind. How do 'normal' people do it? Anyone?
Old 02-23-2014, 06:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I try to hold tight to the things that give me a sense of purpose and worth. My first and foremost reason is my dogs. Giving them the best possible care is my goal in life. And they reward me for my effort.

Another thing that keeps me going is that I help take care of my mother who has dementia. I visit every day and care for her cats. It's very sad to do this but it gives me a sense of fulfillment to fill her need for companionship.

I can only do these things if I stay sober. So I live a sober life and am rewarded for it with the pleasure I get from taking care of my dogs and my mother.

Find something that gives you real satisfaction and go for it.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:41 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank you very much Least. You are definitely right I
To find something to get out of bed for is the challenge.
Because I was using I never bothered to mold my life in a way that satisfied or God forbid , excited me. I only ever did what I had to, what I felt was needed, what others expected of me, what I felt my duty was. To do something simply because it gives me joy is a skill that I will have to re-learn, if I ever did know how. This morning you guys got me out of bed and today I go in search of self-made dopamine!
Old 02-24-2014, 03:54 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Feel like caving

This is day nine for me and now the real fun begins as the pain that brought me to this door in the first place is making its views known. As a result I am limited in what I can do and accomplish in a day. I feel like crawling right back inside that warm fuzzy Percocet and staying there. Pain is pain and pain is real. The worst part is that I know my Dr will write me a script in a flash. She is la compassionate person. I would love to believe I could take a script, give ithem to my husband and only take one a day or two just to get some work done. After reading a lot of posts on here I fear this is an addictive fantasy. It's a nice one though!
Old 02-24-2014, 07:16 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Wrong number I guess.,

I am pretty sure I don't know how to make use of this website. I must be saying all the wrong things. Good luck everybody on your recovery journey!