Notices

New to this all....

Old 02-21-2014, 05:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to this all....

I am new to this world of recovery. I am recently divorced from my second husband (both were alcoholics). I am in a relationship of sorts (we are just companions - it currently seems to work for both of us; neither wanting a commitment; just mutual respect of one another and time hanging out and doing things together) with a recovering alcoholic who has 16 yrs sober. I have started to attend alanon meetings over the last couple of months; maybe 12 in total. I find the stories alot like my own; I am nervous to share; I am nervous everytime I go.

I wonder if I am in the right place as far as my relationship goes with my companion. I need recovery for myself. I definitely have lost control of managing my own life. in the last year I have filed for divorce; sold my marital home; moved; and now just lost my job. The compounded feelings of that mixed in with not knowing how to act around my current companion is making me nuts. I care about him; i enjoy our time together but if he doesnt get his way; isnt the one who came up with the idea; or it isnt when and how he wants things to happen (going to the gym, or shopping or out for a day of fun) than he is a total jerk towards me; but always seems to blame me for it. His favorite line, "this is YOU! You bring this, not me." How is it me all of the time? I take responsibility sometimes, but not always.

The other day, he mentioned that he is tired of dealing with me as a b*tch; I was deeply hurt by that statement. then I turn into protective mode and can be somewhat cold and standoffish. I am only reacting to how he is treating me. I dont want to fight. I am afraid to say anything that will challenge him; but I dont want to just conform I do have opinions of things.

I need this recovery, I need to better understand things. I think part of it is I am staying at his place free of rent until I can get on my feet as well. I am not so sure it is worth it.

Old 02-21-2014, 05:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

can you move?
Old 02-21-2014, 05:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You really need to focus on YOU and your recovery. If it is meant to be some down the track it will be. You are important too x
Old 02-21-2014, 05:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I can't move until I find employment; I just left my lease as it was close to $2K a month. I am being paid until the end of April as part of my severence --- I was downsized. I am not in a hurry to find something because I realize I need to focus more on doing things for myself. I have neglected me for too long.

Thanks~
Old 02-21-2014, 05:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

If you have severance pay coming in you can look for a place, can't you? I'd think twice about continuing in this relationship. He doesn't seem to be a very compassionate person and is verbally abusive to you.

What are you getting out of this relationship/arrangement?
Old 02-21-2014, 05:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

nothing it seems. It seemed in the beginning the companionship and wisdom or his years in recovery. But the longer we are together the more I realize he is pulling the wool over my eyes. He is in recovery as far as not drinking anymore; but his behaviour is awful...he hasnt been to a meeting in two months. And he is not nice to be around. I am getting nothing. I guess I hang on for hope; I am so used to being abandoned -- I dont like that feeling it has happened my entire life; but all the more reason to focus on myself.

I have thought about moving back to Pennsylvania (its cheaper to live, I have close friends and some family there; where I am now in the Boston area, I am alone; no family -- I moved here to get married in 2007 --- now am divorced).

I guess I also hang on becuase this would afford me to go back to school and finally get my degree if I dont have to pay rent. But is it worth my sanity>??????
Old 02-21-2014, 06:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

He doesn't sound very nice, I would start working on plan B.

Your sanity and sobriety is key important....

I have no time for these passive aggressive, gaslighting type of people...
Old 02-21-2014, 06:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

possibly finding your own place would be doing something for you. doesn't sound like it's worth the abuse to me. it's never just one person's fault in a relationship (in my opinion, anyway). recovery is more important.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

What's keeping you from moving back to Pennsylvania? It sounds like you have a good support system there. Currently, you're not tied down to a job, you've got money in the bank....why not just go for it?
Old 02-21-2014, 07:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Originally Posted by kleigh View Post
What's keeping you from moving back to Pennsylvania? It sounds like you have a good support system there. Currently, you're not tied down to a job, you've got money in the bank....why not just go for it?
Sounds like a plan xxxxx
Old 02-21-2014, 07:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by LCreations View Post
I am in a relationship of sorts (we are just companions - it currently seems to work for both of us; neither wanting a commitment; just mutual respect of one another and time hanging out and doing things together) with a recovering alcoholic who has 16 yrs sober.
Not feelin' the respect here.

Free rent is often very expensive.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey you can come live with me. I'm close to ya. And I'm not a jerk