Notices

the irony of unintentionally insensitive comments

Old 02-21-2014, 03:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

the irony of unintentionally insensitive comments

I mentioned to a friend at work: I'm so tired! He said, "are you sick?" "Nooo..." "Mentally tired?" "YES!" He said: "That's what alcohol is for!"

I couldn't believe it. He of course wouldn't know the decision I made today. So ironic!

Then later, another lady mentioned there's rain coming. "No rain, no grapes, no wine!" And then she started doing her version of a rain dance.

I couldn't believe it. The first person, I just smiled. But the second person, I said, "Oh, I've had enough of that stuff to last me a lifetime." "Rain?" "No, wine!" She said, "I love the stuff. I'm Italian." I said, "I'm French and I'm done."

Now I check my email and there's something from a hotel in wine country telling me about an event!

And this is only the first day! Oh, my.

Maybe there's some negative energy that doesn't want my light to shine. Because baby when I get my health back, I will be a force to reckon with!!!
Old 02-21-2014, 03:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sometimes the Universe has an ironic sense of humour...glad you're taking it in your stride TC

D
Old 02-21-2014, 04:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I know what you mean TooCute. In my early days that stuff happened all the time. Now I'm not as sensitive about it - but I sure was for awhile. It's normal. Glad to have you with us to talk about these things.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think it's a combination of coincidence and increased sensitivity to anything alcohol-related. I'm trying to change my weekend binge habits, but I'm also making it a point to get out of the house and not go into hermit-mode. Searching for things to do that don't mention downstairs bars, happy hours, or "enjoying a few drinks" is not easy.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the SR family.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I hear it all the time. Nod and smile...that's all I do...it's not hard for a lot people to find a reason to have a drink...in the early days I am hyper vigilant of all things alcohol as it sits right there in front of everything in my world.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Let's think of ourselves as members of an elite "members only" club!
Old 02-21-2014, 05:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I had a close family member who knows all about my journey say to me recently after hearing about a hard day: "Too bad you gave up drinking, because after a day like that you really deserve a drink."

Unbelievable. It just goes to show that people who haven't been through it don't really get it.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

When it rains sometimes it pours, lol!

Stick to your plan, a few months down the line things like that won't seem near as abrasive, you might even find a bit of humor in the situation after awhile
Old 02-21-2014, 05:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Unfortunately it never, quite ends.

Nearly eighteen months into my sobriety last Saturday we did a Job upstate. One of our clients gave my business partner and I two bottles of wine with a card that said....."You had me at Merlot."

Cute.....yet needless to say, my partner took both bottles home with her.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Perhaps these coincidences work both ways. I am on my way home and I'm feeling good about my decision. In that instant, I overhear a woman say, "You finally did it? Good for you!" This made me smile. It was as if she heard my thoughts, LOL!
Old 02-21-2014, 05:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

21 hours down, 3 to go.

You soooooo got this.
Congratulations on your first day!
Old 02-21-2014, 06:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

yes, congrats! the poison is everywhere, corner stores, grocery stores, restaurants. think positive, you can do this. there's a lot of help and support here I've found. I'm not that far ahead of you, after 14 or so months sober 9+ years ago. took that long for me to decide again I cant drink like a normal person. I tried, believe me, I tried a loooong time.
Old 02-22-2014, 05:04 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by itsjustchuck View Post
yes, congrats! the poison is everywhere, corner stores, grocery stores, restaurants.
You can say that again! Even television commercials glorify alcohol.

Here I am at day 2. I have alcohol in the fridge, and I don't want it. Don't even feel the need to throw it out. It's a reminder of who I used to be.

Got my appetite back! Ready for my first meal after two days of, let's see two bites of a burrito and two crackers. Incredible.

I'm resting and nurturing myself, understanding that my body is working to heal herself. I literally feel and look better already. And this is just day two!
Old 02-22-2014, 05:44 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

oh I know what you mean!
A coworker told me a week or so ago that she was "making it a resolution to drink more wine". Really? If she only know what an awful resolution that was.

And how many times I hear my coworkers talk about their "adult beverages" when they get home? (I work at an elementary school). I don't even give a courtesy laugh or chuckle. They have NO IDEA about me, in fact, they would be shocked if they knew. But i's just such a stupid thing to say anyway, IMO>