Notices

Day 5. Excited about sobriety :)

Old 02-21-2014, 09:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Day 5. Excited about sobriety :)

Well I've made it to day 5 without a drink. I'm headed into an all weekend Big Book Study, starting tonight from 6 p.m. - 10 p.m. and then 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. tomorrow, and 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. on Sunday. It's gonna be an AA filled weekend so I'm pretty confident that I'll be celebrating my first full week on Sunday

I'm feeling CAUTIOUSLY confident that I'm done with drinking. I've been practising some stuff I learned from AVRT and leaving the rest. For example, the whole thing about the "addictive voice" and recognizing it as not being "me" - it seems to be working for me. Any time negative/drinking thoughts creep into my head I recognize it as being the "addictive voice" or the "beast" and remind myself the I have made the decision not to drink again, and I have the control over picking up that first drink, not the addict voice in my head. Instead of thinking "I want to drink" I remind myself that "It wants to drink. Not me, I don't want to drink. It wants to drink."

Hope everyone has a wonderful sober friday and I'll take another 24! <3
Old 02-21-2014, 10:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Awesome, keep it up!!
Old 02-21-2014, 10:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Mrrryah1 - a very inspirational final thought of the working week, ready to take us into an alcohol-free weekend! I like that comment "It wants a drink" not "I want a drink" - I'll try and remember that as I'm going to be surrounded by friends drinking all weekend so I'm going to make it my mantra!

Enjoy your weekend and congratulations for reaching one week on Sunday - I know it's premature but I know you can make it!
Old 02-21-2014, 10:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Thumbs up So excited

You should be excited!! I'm excited, too! It feels sooo good to hear from you! It feels good to know that you,as am I, feeling good about finally taking contol of my choice not to drink and not to give into that nasty AV. You are right...that voice is not what I want but what 'it' wants. And what 'it' wants is not good for me. So I tell 'it' that I am not listening anymore!
Old 02-21-2014, 10:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Mrrryah1 View Post
For example, the whole thing about the "addictive voice" and recognizing it as not being "me" - it seems to be working for me.
Yes, that's how I felt too. I had always allowed my feelings to drive me, and it was eye-opening to understand that they were just feelings. They weren't me, and I could feel them and let them go.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SeaScape

Congratulations be cautious - I am cautious too! Plan something fun to celebrate all your work!
Old 02-21-2014, 12:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

All-weekend Big book study to bookend your week!? Excellent - that will be all about Solution. I encourage you to share how your optimism feels after attending that - see if your load feels a bit lighter...
Old 02-21-2014, 12:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good job Mrrry! You seem so positive- keep it up!!! :-)
Old 02-21-2014, 01:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's really good to see you sounding positive murrah
Great work

D
Old 02-21-2014, 01:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice