Studying Ourselves

Old 02-21-2014, 05:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Studying Ourselves

STUDYING OURSELVES

"Listening to talks about the dharma, or the teachings of Buddha, or practicing meditation is nothing other than studying ourselves. Whether we’re eating or working or meditating or listening or talking, the reason that we’re here in this world at all is to study ourselves. In fact, it has been said that studying ourselves provides all the books we need.

Maybe the reason there are dharma talks and books is just to encourage us to understand this simple teaching: all the wisdom about how we cause ourselves to suffer and all the wisdom about how joyful and vast and uncomplicated our minds are—these two things, the understanding of what we might call neurosis and the wisdom of unconditioned, unbiased truth—can only be found in our own experience."
(From her book When Things Fall Apart)
Buy Books

Thank you to Shambhala Publications who provide these wonderful weekly quotes. To get yours, sign up at
Heart Advice
Old 03-02-2014, 04:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
d0g

I love Pema! She embodies right living and right action. I might add that it is important to have a good sense of humor about oneself. We really are funny creatures who do many silly things in overly serious ways. Part of being a typical neurotic human is being reactive and touchy instead of reflective and welcoming. The energy used to struggle and resist can be used to accept and engage. I aspire to wearing daily life like loose-fitting clothes.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by d0g View Post
. I aspire to wearing daily life like loose-fitting clothes.
Love this! Thanks for your reply.