Notices

Resisting cravings.

Old 02-21-2014, 02:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Resisting cravings.

Not contributed much recently so wanted to share my thoughts on cravings and urges. I initially thought that I should fear and dread these cravings that come, they are so intense at times and are all I need to lead me back to drink. I feel I want to repeat that

MY CRAVINGS ARE ALL I NEED TO LEAD ME BACK TO DRINK !!

This would suggest that I am powerless over these cravings/urges/thoughts. Whatever they suggest I will do. Wow they must be pretty special to have such a hold over me, a fairly well educated and successful person!

BUT WAIT A MINUTE,WHAT IF I DONT ACT ON THESE CRAVINGS?

They are just thoughts. They are just ideas. They are just connections between a place and an emotion. They cannot make me drink. I control what I do and where I am heading. They are powerless over me.

MY CRAVINGS DO NOT LIKE THIS TRAIN OF THOUGHT. THEY ARE POWERLESS.

I now look forward to these cravings ,like an old friend come to visit just on the off chance that I want to come out to play! Remember the times they used to call and order me to play and that's what I did. I sometimes feral sorry for them because they are now so weak it isn't even a contest anymore, I don't even know why they bother!

Of course the initial battles can be intense but you have to remember that even at their strongest they are still powerless over you. They cannot physically force the drink down your throat. You are stronger than you think you are. If you were on a dessert island with no alcohol available do you think your urges would win. Of course not. So build your own dessert island with all the weapons you can muster as backup. I hope these ramblings make sense to someone!

YOU ARE THE ONE WHO DECIDES!!
Old 02-21-2014, 02:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Thanks for this post. I have been thinking about my craving a lot lately. Dealing with some work stuff as I have just gone back to work.

I have found lately that they are coming a little more often as my first thought when I get stressed is "I need a drink".

This just confirms that I do have the power to say no and I don't have to give into it.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well said toffee1, great post.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Following for future reference
Old 02-21-2014, 04:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Perfectly said.

Cravings are natural, suffering is optional.

I like to think of my cravings as an expression of the death throes of my addiction. That addiction is a liar and a thief and I have put it in a box where it is slowly starving and suffocating. It panics and kicks out a craving for me, hoping it will convince me to relent and let it back out to play.

Is that all you got?