Notices

hate myself

Old 02-20-2014, 07:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

hate myself

I'm so mad at myself. I had 8 days sober and then drank on Monday. I was going to jump right back on the horse but here I am tonight 3/4 of a bottle of wine in. My excuse? I'm snowed in and I love drinking wine and watching snow fall. Pathetic. Seriously pathetic. I know better. Im so angry with myself and I desperately want to rewind a few hours and start over. I guess I just need to know it gets better.....
Old 02-20-2014, 07:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I know that feeling i got to day 8 a month ago, and Hit a bottle of wine and have drunk everyday until 2 days ago.

It all takes time …...
Old 02-20-2014, 08:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I did the same last week hopeful yogi after about 35 days sober. I cried all day, but the next day was better and so will yours be. Just hop on here if you feel you need help and it will be there for you. Don't beat yourself up more than you already have.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Powerful & Baffling that we return to something that makes us so miserable Hopeful....Tomorrow is a new day. Glad you are here.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yogi, see if you can channel your recovery on your mat! Everything is made so much more clear there. When you have a craving or a bad day, practice nadi shodhana or some namaskara. You will be amazed how much better you feel. Seriously, yoga saved my life during the very early phase of my recovery. And now two and a half years later, it's become my career and greatest passion. xoxox
Old 02-20-2014, 08:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well, the weather does that. I've thought the same thing myself lately and was going to post about it today but got sidetracked. I've even done that myself, sitting with a bottle of wine watching the snow, having lived in and around mpls for 12 years. Winters can be long. It does get better.

I don't think I've read this on here or if I did it has been a while but seasonal changes are about as tough to go through as each new holiday spent sober. We are retraining our brains to living an alcohol free life and breaking those old habits and replacing them with new. Just like I am preparing myself so I don't go back to the old habit of sitting on my back porch, drinking wine and listening to the rain fall.

Don't be hard on yourself. It happens. We can't take it back but we can learn from it and move on to better things.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

don't hate yourself Yogi - that just feeds the addiction.
Use that energy to make some plan, or even better make some sober connections.

You can turn things 'round, with a little effort - you can do this

D
Old 02-20-2014, 09:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

We all have our quirks with drinking. In a room full of drunks, that are drinking, some will get naked and run around, others will be loud and voiceturous, others will make out in the corner, some will drink by themselves in the corner, you will have some that will puke their brains out, others will crack jokes all the time. Each one will do something different, but the key to understanding this disease is that once I start I cannot stop. I crave more, until I pass out or end up arrested. Some are whino's, others are vodka drinkers, others only drink beer, or shots, JD and coke, Rummies, Rubbies, Listeriners.
The key to life is to get back up when ya fall down. Like a child who falls off a bike, the child gets back up and tries to ride again. The quirk with us alcoholics is that we like to forget that we fell off the bike. We are children, we stop growing when we started drinking.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Wow Matt, you can write! Great post, no filter there.

And I agree, no need for self-belittling. There are things to be learned, and it won't even be remembered much in 3 months time.
Old 02-21-2014, 01:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
shi

as Matt put it, 'The key to life is to get back up when ya fall down'.

this is the answer right here. get up, brush it off n start over. even if u starting at 1 day, it will soon be more than 8 days in no time. let our past make us better not bitter.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Tomorrow's a new day hopefulyogi.
Old 02-21-2014, 03:08 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Pick yourself up and start over again tomorrow. When you feel tempted next time, go back and read your post to remind yourself of how not worth it drinking really is and how you wish you hadn't.
Old 02-21-2014, 03:27 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by matt4x4 View Post
The key to life is to get back up when ya fall down. Like a child who falls off a bike, the child gets back up and tries to ride again. The quirk with us alcoholics is that we like to forget that we fell off the bike. We are children, we stop growing when we started drinking.
This....so true and thanks @matt4x4. I'm gonna do my best to stay on my bike and ride into the sunset. If I fall, I will not forget anymore. I'm gonna pick myself up, dust myself off and get right back on. It may take time, but I will master the art of "bike riding" no matter how many times I wipe out.

Get back on the bike hopfulyogi....You can do it.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:51 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Get back up and go it again.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:54 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Day one is a new beginning xxxxxxxxxxx
Old 02-21-2014, 05:58 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I hope today is your new Day 1! You're brave (and smart) for coming here instead of letting it get the best of you. Forgive yourself.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:00 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

don't be so hard on yourself, as that will only work against you. But don't give up.... you can do it.

And also; watching snow fall while drinking TEA is quite divine....

YOU CAN DO IT