Update on son

Old 02-20-2014, 12:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Update on son

I just wanted to write out what's happened since yesterday and want to thank each and everyone that responded. My son had a very rough day yesterday (as did the rest of us) but reached out to several people last night, including me. My daughter in law and two granddaughters are staying at our house for a few days.

My son agreed to call his therapist today and call work to get the paperwork for FMLA and disability insurance. He called me this morning somewhat waivering on calling his therapist. His thinking was that he has an appointment scheduled with our local drug and alcohol treatment center for a court-ordered alcohol assessment on Monday and he thought that was good enough. I told him he should still call his therapist and touch bases with her. He said he is going through a milder detox. He recognizes the symptoms from last time. At least he's back in his house and out of his car.

I can't believe how exhausting this is. I can't imagine the thoughts going through my daughter in law's head. My daughter in law is going out of town with a friend this weekend just to get away for a little. My granddaughters are going to spend the weekend with their other grandparents. They'll get a chance to see their cousins and daughter in law can spend some time with friends. It should be good for all of them.

I pray for all of you going through life with a loved alcoholic! It's the questioning everything you say and do that's especially hard.

Thanks!
Shelly
Old 02-20-2014, 07:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sounds like lots of positives-he is taking responsibility for making calls/arrangements/reaching out, and his wife & kids have a good support system. Glad to hear she is getting a chance to getaway. I had to travel to Florida for work and my sister had previously planned to join me, between my husband's relapse and entering rehab. My parents came to help with the kids and support him while I went away, and a couple days with my sister was exactly what I needed to weather the challenging time.

I hope each day gets easier for each if you and he finds a good pathway to recovery!