Notices

Codeine, the OTC devil drug.

Old 02-20-2014, 12:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Codeine, the OTC devil drug.

Hi all, I was reluctant to sign up initially but I need somewhere/someone to vent to that will actually listen.
I've been struggling with a mild codine dependancy for a few months now, after painful invasive cancer tests I started taking the OTC drug (over the counter) for pain, and due to depression I started to rely on it for "energy", a boost during the day if you will. Then came the migraines. I chose to ignore the fact that it was due to the dependancy just so I could continue taking the pills.
Now, I was taking 4-6 12.5mg tablets a day which in the past weeks turned to 10+, it was only this past weekend when a box of 40 lasted 2.5 days that I realised I needed to stop. My last 2 pills were Monday, it is now Thursday evening and I've still got a dull, annoying migraine.
The first two days were hard, I was in pain, lethargic, loss of appetite, body aches and cold sweats.
I'm trying to avoid taking any medication to ease my symptoms but I did just buy a supermarket brand of panadol for the headache which I'm hoping eases the pain I have in my head.
Not so lethargic today and haven't napped at all.
I've been reading old posts that say it would take weeks to feel okay again, but those posters were taking larger dosages every day.
What I'm most interested about is when this headache/migraine will actually go away.
It's the one thing tempting me to get more codeine and I keep thinking "oh I'll just take two", but we all know that two will turn into ten.
Please help shed some light!
Thank you xx
Old 02-20-2014, 12:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Badblood - welcome

I don't know anything about codeine withdrawal - but 40 over a weekend is a lot by anyones standards.

If they were the kind mixed with paracetamol you might want to get yourself checked out by a Dr - not trying to alarm you but high doses of paracetamol can be dangerous.

D
Old 02-20-2014, 12:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I don't know anything about codeine either but want to welcome you to the SR family.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

They were codeine and Ibuprofen, but the ones over the weekend had paracetamol in them.
If I don't feel better by the weekend I'll pop past my GP. I'm just scared if getting addicted to another prescription lol
Old 02-20-2014, 12:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post

I don't know anything about codeine either but want to welcome you to the SR family.
Thank you
Old 02-20-2014, 01:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

Welcome badblood. I don't know much about codeine but there are plenty of people here who do, so stick around and keep reading and posting.

As well as this forum you might find our substance abuse forum useful too, as they're many people who share the same struggles with prescription drugs as you Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

And I wish you well with your recovery from cancer.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Louise82 View Post
Welcome badblood. I don't know much about codeine but there are plenty of people here who do, so stick around and keep reading and posting.

As well as this forum you might find our substance abuse forum useful too, as they're many people who share the same struggles with prescription drugs as you

And I wish you well with your recovery from cancer.
Thank you so much
Old 02-20-2014, 01:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Not to be a doom merchant - but too much ibuprofen over a long period can be a hassle too and cause ulcers and the like.

I have personal experience of that one.

If you're not feeling better by the weekend, or you feel worse anytime, do see a Dr - even if you don't want any more meds, a check up could be useful

D
Old 02-20-2014, 02:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Badblood and welcome from another Aussie.
Old 02-20-2014, 03:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Tea Drinker

Hi badblood, codeine is my nemesis also. I am currently on a taper but have been through cold turkey previously more than once. I can tell you that if you stick with it, the headaches will go...codeine causes headaches, it doesn't cure them. There are online resources that can help with info and support. NA, Overcount and codeinefreeme are helpful. Feel free to pm me if you would like to chat more...am trying to gear myself up to go to a meeting tonight. All the best and welcome to SR, Meg
Old 02-20-2014, 04:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you, I'll PM you now, have to have 5 posts haha
Old 02-20-2014, 04:28 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Cool

Originally Posted by Badbloodxo View Post
They were codeine and Ibuprofen, but the ones over the weekend had paracetamol in them.
If I don't feel better by the weekend I'll pop past my GP. I'm just scared if getting addicted to another prescription lol
Like Dee74 said....too much ibuprofen can be bad for you, but paracetamol (AKA acetaminophen and/or Tylenol) is incredibly dangerous............

The ratio between fatal doses and therapeutic doses (the therapeutic index) is much smaller than for other over-the-counter painkillers...as little as 25 percent above the maximum daily dose can cause liver damage when taken over several days. Acute overdoses of paracetamol can cause potentially fatal liver damage. The risk may be heightened by chronic alcohol abuse.

Paracetamol toxicity is the foremost cause of acute liver failure in the Western world, and accounts for most drug overdoses in the United States, the United Kingdom, Australia and New Zealand.

Be careful down there.....good that you're going to see your doctor.

(o:
NoelleR