Notices

Biopsy...really scared, need to hear from people!

Old 02-19-2014, 07:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Biopsy...really scared, need to hear from people!

So, on November 22nd I found a small white spot on my tongue. I went to my doctor right away, told her I chewed tobacco and drank and thought I had cancer. She examined me and said she thinks it is from the sharp point of my molar constantly rubbing it,so she ground it down and told me to come back. I quit chewing that day.
I went back in January and my dentist was concerned because the spot had not changed. She referred me to an oral surgeon.
Two days ago I had my appt. and he said he "doesn't think" its cancerous but said he doesn't think its from rubbing my molar either. It is leukoplakia which is commonly precancerous.
He said he wants to have it surgically removed and biopsied.
He said the most common cause of tissue changes in the mouth are alcohol and tobacco.
ALCOHOL. I quit chewing but to think I just kept on slamming beers probably making it worse!
I have always been a hypochondriac and have always feared I would get cancer and now I might have it.

This is definitely the last straw. When I got home from the appt. I said to my husband "I'm sorry honey, but you have lost your drinking partner FOREVER"
My biopsy is the 27th and I dont know how I am even going to get through the days.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry to hear what you're going through! I'm new on here, but I relate to the hypochondria. I keep thinking everything is something fatal and have had numerous tests done lately. I have a cyst that I have to go back and have retested and I wish I could just get it over with NOW!

Hang in there and wait for some results before panicking. I know - easier said than done, but I'll be waiting with you! But if it is something, you caught it early. Stay here and remember what great support there is. I'll be thinking of you and wish you the best of outcomes!
Old 02-19-2014, 07:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I used to chew and had similar scares (hard spots, white spots, etc. ), although usually i would quit on my own and they would go away on their own.

Firsth try and keep things in perspective - you don't know that you have cancer, and no one is suggesting you have cancer. You have a test to find out if something MIGHT be pre-cancerous. Quitting drinking is also an excellent choice at this point, glad you are doing so.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you're going through this and the waiting is always so hard. But, it sounds like you're taking the right steps to have this looked after. I am sending my good thoughts and prayers your way.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Prayers your way Sweetie!!!
Old 02-19-2014, 08:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I had a biopsy done recently, the breast not the mouth..I have to tell you
my profession was the mouth..not me as a professional yet my husband.
Think this out..the mouth takes in anything we give it..it has to process
to the limits to anything we injest.. we do it willingly..now your results are
saying..Holey Crap..stop or you will suffer ..I don't want to say Die...so ignore
this thought.

I'm glad to know that you paid attention..
Old 02-19-2014, 08:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have been there with waiting for a biopsy of something, and drinking related. Liver biopsy. Ugh. Try to stay grounded and healthy while you wait. Deep breaths, distraction, keep busy, etc... The waiting is the worst.

Old 02-19-2014, 08:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi,I'm sorry you're going through this. I can relate to some extent as my husband has leukoplakia in his throat and is having a biopsy tomorrow. Many leukoplakia patches are not cancerous-apparenlty only 25% are so hopefully it'll be ok for you

Quitting drinking and using tobacco are the 2 best things you can do for yourself and you've done them
Old 02-19-2014, 08:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
SeaScape

Hi there

Sorry you are having a medical scare- they are the WORST.

I have a pituitary tumor - the weeks preceding my diagnosis were very stressful. I have had this condition for years now but I will NEVER forget the anxiety I had.

Don't drink or use tobacco from now on and you can rest assured knowing that you did the best thing for yourself moving forward. That is all you can do!

Thinking of you!
Old 02-19-2014, 08:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

ArcticSA, rootin for ya.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:24 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Most of these things turn out to be nothing xxxxx
Old 02-19-2014, 09:41 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover