Notices

My first 11 days

Old 02-17-2014, 07:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My first 11 days

Day 1 trough 4 went great, occasional cravings but had it under control
Day 5 all of a sudden i was shaking.. really anxious, sweating from 11 am.( which i never ever took a drink before ). My hearthrate was probably around 190 for hours. Day 5 i gave in and had 8 glasses of wine and all the anxiety went away.. That same night i was so very very pissed at myself for drinking that i went to the doctor next morning to explain what happened.
He gave some mild tranquilizer for when this happens.
Now i have been reading lots of posts here and other helpfull webpages but a lot of them contradict each other. For excemple tranquilizers is never good cause you get addicted to those instead of alcohol..
Some say take sugar when you got a bad craving like a klondike bar.. other say don't cause the sugar get you more pumped up.
Some say go jogging others say go and try to relax yourself with a movie or music
Day 6 till 8 and went ok with again some mild cravings.. those are easy to erase with avrt ( which i was thankfully linked on my first day sober)
day 9-11 were really bad again. Cravings started to come early again.
Day 10 i took a tranquilizer (lorazepam 1 mg)
So i would like some good advice pls!
about cravings comming in the end of the morning ( does it keep comming earlier?)
taking sugar to relieve the alcohol(sugar), go jogging or try to relax etc etc

(I live on a small island where there is not much help in this area)
Old 02-17-2014, 07:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Welcome Jorik!

There are a half dozen AA meetings every week in Willemsted. I found AA to be helpful in controlling my desire to drink, and it is helping me put my life back together now.

Look upon the tranquilizer as the lesser of two evils. It sounds like you are taking them sparingly, and with care you will not get addicted. I detoxed at an in-patient facility, and was prescribed this medicine.

Thanks for joining!
Old 02-17-2014, 08:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Closing the gates of Oblivion

What it really comes down to is what works for you. I ate enough sugary treats in one week to feed an army. Do I regret it...no, it solved my problem. I couldn't take the tranquilizers if offered because I will become addicted to anything given the chance but some people are straight alcoholics.

I have always been told to sleep when you are sleepy and eat when you are hungry. You can spend your boredom time exercising so that you don't put on extra weight. But the way I look at it, I am not intaking all the calories from alcohol anymore so it's just a trade off. Plus, I know that I will taper on the sugar/food intake. Actually, it has already started to happen at the 30 day mark for me. Sounds like you have the start of a good plan.

Keep moving forward and using those strategies to your benefit.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well, good question. For me, I knew what to expect upon quitting so I went to the doctor before I quit to ask for tranquilizers, clonazapam. I've taken them in the past, sparingly, when needed. I took less than prescribed but when I had the feelings you described. This helped a lot in the first two weeks. I rarely if ever take them now.

I still eat a lot of sugary things. This helps when I get urges. Eat an orange or an apple if you don't want to eat junk sugar like ice cream or candy. Finally, I don't jog. But, physical activity helps with anxiety so I keep busy around my house or walk.

It gets better over time. The wine set you back but you can do it. Wine was always the worst for me. Made the anxiety go away but then the anxiety would be worse when it wore off. Hang in there.