Notices

Day 47 - Strong Cravings!!

Old 02-17-2014, 11:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 47 - Strong Cravings!!

I have 47 days under my belt and out of the blue today I am struggling. Caught myself thinking about drinking. How I would have to hide my drunkness, thinking I would just do it once, etc. I say I caught myself because I know it is my AV telling me this, but it is all of a sudden and out of the blue. I have had a pretty easy go of it the last 47 days, but today is killing me. Only thing I can think of is that I pushed too hard working out last week. I did really push it and I am really tired and just hungry. I try to stay on top of HALT but I think I let it get a bit too far.

I would assume this is normal (i.e., to get strong cravings after some time of abstinence). Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hey Ethos ,

I had craving all the way up to a year , they got less and less frequent though . Other peoples experiences here tell me that they might not be over yet .. so i remain prepared , i haven't had one for a year and a half now .

Have you read Dees' thread about CarolD tips for cravings ? there are some good techniques there http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

Keep on

Bestwishes, m
Old 02-17-2014, 12:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

When I had cravings I just had to force myself to remember how horrible I'd feel the next day and how much I'd hate myself for giving in. After a while of being sober the cravings pretty much went away, at least they don't happen very much and when they do they're easy to overcome.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Cravings happen, but suffering is optional. When I get one I like to think of it like my brother Weasel1966 taught me. A craving is my AV lashing out because I have put it in a box and plugged its air hole. After all the pain that ratturd caused me, the summunabeach can suffocate.

Congrats on 47 days. You got this.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had to make myself a baseline - I will not drink, no matter what.

Makes for some uncomfortable periods for a while, but as long as you hold that line, cravings will come...and go,Ethos

D
Old 02-17-2014, 06:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think you nailed it with "tired and hungry." I know I'm late in reading this, but eating a big meal usually will quiet the cravings. Hang in there, you're doing great!
Old 02-17-2014, 10:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm only four days in but I learned from years of drinking that if I ate right after work I wouldn't drink as much or be able to not drink that night if I was in the doghouse. I think that helped to make my problem worse because I would always drink my hunger away. Then destroy the kitchen for an hour or so eating potentially dangerous stuff like barely cooked eggs and pretty much raw bacon. Sometimes was horrified at what I saw the next day..long story short. Filling up on good food curbs my cravings.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Very normal and it will happen again, you can have years of sobriety and still entertain the idea of a drink. What matters is what you do with that thought .
Old 02-18-2014, 04:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

They happen. I entertained the thought last week while stuck in traffic. Stress does it for me. Ride it out and be vigilant over the "hungry tired" part. Keeping a snack with me helps.