Notices

Really need to quit

Old 02-17-2014, 09:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Really need to quit

Hello,
I'm 47 years old and should have learned my lesson by now, right? Well, as a teenager I drank excessively and don't remember alot from then. At 24 I married and alcoholic and I pretty much stopped drinking for 17 years, except for on occasion. Then, 6 years ago I get divorced and begin drinking, mostly in social situations. I have found that I tend to binge drink because I can go weeks without, but every now and then I get in a situation where I drink way too much. Then I pay for it for days....depression, anxiety, worry what I said or did because I usually black out. Saturday night I met a friend in town and we saw a concert, which is where the drinking began. 3 beers. Then we went to eat...and another beer or two...don't remember....then went to a dance club.....danced alot and don't know if I drank. The scary part is I had to drive home alone. I almost never drive when drinking, but I got caught in a situation where I did. On the way home I caught myself waking up at the wheel on the interstate like 2 or three times and each time I was in the wrong lane or off the road. Then I must have pulled off cause I woke up and was a mile from home asleep in the car. This has scared me beyond anything I have ever experienced. To tell the truth, earlier that day I took a half of a Xanax because I was feeling so anxious for no reason. I just happened to have half of one someone gave me a long time ago. I think the combo do that and drinking too much did me in. Anyway, I have to quit drinking and the pills I quit a long time ago ....except for that one. I am depressed, embarrassed, and feeling out of control. Poor to Saturday night, I was doing very well emotionally and now.......start over again. Just thankful to be alive and that I didn't hurt anyone and I really feel God was with me on that drive home because I don't know how I ever made it. I'm too old for this crap. I thought I had finally moved past the binge drinking and was making better decisions, but apparently NOT! For today...I will not drink any alcohol......and pray I can continue forever.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Realising my life

A very warm welcome from the UK, Dasheisdone

That must have been very frightening and I'm glad you're ok, but hopefully this will be enough to motivate you to change. I didn't learn my lesson until I was 52, so I can promise you it's never too late!

I used to binge drink whenever I drank and I've learned that as long as I stay away from the first one I'm okay. The cravings don't really kick in until I've had that one - but once I have, all bets are off!

You've made a great decision in joining here. You'll find people who truly understand
Old 02-17-2014, 12:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. You'll find a lot of support here and I hope that support can help you stop drinking for good.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sounds like you have a problem. When I first drove drunk or went to the drunk tank I was scared. When I awoke in the hospital not knowing what happened I was scared. When I first went to state prison, I was scared, when I first went in for a federal bit, I was scared. Then by the second or third time it became normal. I asked the guards, yo bossman wheres my cheese sandwich and juice carton. But hey maybe you are different, maybe you are not like me. Who knows. I am an alcoholic, I drink that is what I do. I drink to change the way I feel. Simple. Now there is a way out.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Welcome Dasheisdone. You will find plenty of support here xxxxx
Old 02-17-2014, 12:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I wish there was an age limit to quit but sadly some of us take longer than others to pull it together.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome from Oz! I am also a once I have one I can't stop drinker, not always every day. It is terrifying having no control over what you do and having blackouts. Now is the time to say enough, you can do it with me!
Old 02-17-2014, 03:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard Dasheisdone

A lot of us are lucky to be here, or to have not injured others.
The good news is we never have to put ourselves in those kinds of situations again

Do you have a plan for staying sober?

D
Old 02-17-2014, 03:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I suppose my plan is....stay away from it! Seriously, I can do fine at times and occasionally only drink a beer or two,or a glass of wine or two, but when I get in " the party mode" ......look out! I'm sure I freaked my date out too...that's a shame because I'm really a good person....just drink a little much at times. I've tried to quit before and did for 6 months...even went to AA. Then I fell and have stayed fallen on and off for the past 4 years. I love being sober. Wish I didn't like beer. Plan.......stay away from alcohol, say no thanks, and maybe go to a meeting. In October I got drunk at my boyfriends house, smarted off to some girl there and she assaulted me. I need to remember all the BAD things that happened.
Thanks for your kind words:-)

QUOTE=Dee74;4477489]Welcome aboard Dasheisdone

A lot of us are lucky to be here, or to have not injured others.
The good news is we never have to put ourselves in those kinds of situations again

Do you have a plan for staying sober?

D[/QUOTE]
Old 02-17-2014, 03:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yes! Lets do it together! We can do it.

Originally Posted by Goldcoastgirl View Post
Welcome from Oz! I am also a once I have one I can't stop drinker, not always every day. It is terrifying having no control over what you do and having blackouts. Now is the time to say enough, you can do it with me!
Old 02-17-2014, 03:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I have had so many blackouts the past 6 years.....and I enjoy being sober, so I guess I just have on stay away from people who drink and places that serve alcohol.

Originally Posted by Raider View Post
I wish there was an age limit to quit but sadly some of us take longer than others to pull it together.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Good to meet you Dasheisdone! I know you can do it. I was in my 50's when I came here and found the courage to stop. You'll feel so good to be free of it.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:54 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

yes.....depending on where im at and who im with.....i tend to drink more if i know I dont have to drive usually,but last weekend....was crazy of me. I thought had more sense than that!!

QUOTE=HeadLump;4477042]A very warm welcome from the UK, Dasheisdone

That must have been very frightening and I'm glad you're ok, but hopefully this will be enough to motivate you to change. I didn't learn my lesson until I was 52, so I can promise you it's never too late!

I used to binge drink whenever I drank and I've learned that as long as I stay away from the first one I'm okay. The cravings don't really kick in until I've had that one - but once I have, all bets are off!

You've made a great decision in joining here. You'll find people who truly understand [/QUOTE]
Old 02-17-2014, 04:02 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

One is never too young or too old to stop drinking. The beauty of sobriety is ageless. Welcome to SR, Dasheisdone.!!!