Notices

I just decided to stop drinking

Old 02-16-2014, 07:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy I just decided to stop drinking

After attempting to stop drinking multiple times I feel like I have finally made the decision to stop. I had my last drink a few hours ago. I know if I don't post now come tomorrow night after work I'll drink. I have a good job but feel tired constantly, am feeling unhappy and dissatisfied with my life. I tell myself because I don't black out or miss work that I don't have a problem. I do. I am hoping to get some support here, and hopefully offer support as well. I feel too ashamed to go to an AA meeting, and wonder if my lack of religious beliefs would make it a bad fit anyway. Thank u for listening:-)
Old 02-16-2014, 07:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi, Genevieve.

Really glad you found SR. I know it's scary, but you've taken a big step, and you're going to be glad you did. I'm not in AA, I'm sure some who are will be along shortly. You could also check out the secular connections section. And I'd highly recommend checking out the February class in the daily support forms; it was a huge help to me to go through the first few weeks and months with people who were going through exactly the same thing.

Congrats on making this decision. It isn't easy at first, but it is so worth it!
Old 02-16-2014, 07:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Genevieve

Regardless of what else you do, you'll find a lot of support and encouragement here

D
Old 02-16-2014, 07:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have an awesome job...awesome kids...and am soooo tired when I drink. I thank "whomever" the rare times I go to bed sober, such is the difference I feel the next day that I've abstained. Whatever you want to call it, time takes over and it gets harder and harder. I've been here for six years now...and always very "functional"...but I know I have maybe another decade of life in me. A decade of lies until I die.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Never understood the shame of getting sober as opposed to being drunk. Terrible stigma placed upon us for doing the right thing
Old 02-16-2014, 07:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi Gen, welcome to SR and well done on your decision. I hope you can keep in mind the feelings you had when you decided to quit when you're tempted to start drinking again.
I was just like you 22 months ago, my health was ok, but I felt disgusted with myself and like I had no control any more.
In early sobriety I loved waking up in the mornings and feeling good about myself again.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

Welcome to SR, Gen. You've just made the most important decision of your life.
Congratulations on taking the first step towards a better future!

When you have a tough moment, don't hesitate to come here for support. There are lots of good folks from all over the world here for you to lean on.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Gen! Your story sounds like mine. Congratulations on taking that step. You won't be sorry.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Genevieve. Last year I was feeling just like you are now, I can't believe the difference in my physical and mental health in just eleven months. You can do it too.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Welcome Gen xxxxxxxxxxx
Old 02-17-2014, 03:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome Genevieve....

AA welcomes all, and is really not "religious" despite its use of the word "God". You will find it is very open to those non-religious. I know several atheists who have been helped by AA.

I say, give it a shot.

Old 02-17-2014, 03:19 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

congrats on your decision...i do think that the longer you abstain, the more satisfaction you will find in your daily life.
sobriety doesnt solve every issue we have, but for me, it makes it much easier to react rationally and fnd logical solutions.
no AA for me, i'll be sober 3 years in May. SR website is my mainstay....connecting here daily is tremendously helpful with support, 24/7.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:09 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Hi, Genevieve, glad you found us! You can quit drinking, and you (that would be you, yourself, Genevieve) can quit drinking. And when you do, you will wonder why you waited so long to do it.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:34 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!! . . . you'll not go short of support here on SR!!
Old 02-17-2014, 06:10 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Pure Radio Rental

Good to have you on board!
Old 02-17-2014, 06:13 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome - drinking just made everything I thought was so hard so much harder, especially work. Once I stopped drinking it was like I stepped off a racing treadmill that was on a giant incline. Whew! I hope you give yourself a chance to experience this. Yes it is hard and some days are a struggle but waking up sober is such a wonderful gift. Stay strong!
Old 02-17-2014, 06:17 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome, Genevieve. I know a first post is difficult, but there's a lot of relief in throwing in the towel against doing it alone and asking for support. Glad you are here.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:27 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Bienvenu Genevieve. Hope you find the support I have on SR.

Give it a few days/weeks it will feel so good that it will fuel your recovery.

Tip1: you will feel better, like you cant imagine, then the AV might tempt you that it is ok to have a few. This is the hard part, have a system of posting here or calling someone.

Best of luck
Old 02-17-2014, 06:50 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Wink Thank you all for your support

This means a lot to me thank you so much:-) still learning how to navigate on here. Using my iPhone as I work from home and my computer is provided by my work. Have a great day everyone.