Notices

Scared straight

Old 02-16-2014, 04:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Scared straight

I had been smoking weed pretty heavily for about 7 years, and as of a year ago I started drinking and smoking tobacco. I enjoyed smoking tobacco with weed for the head rushes it would give. It was like I was always looking for a way to get messed up. Probably the last thing I should have been doing considering I have an arrhythmia every now and then. I've even had a cardiac ablation in 2010. Seems so stupid now. The amount of alcohol steadily increased to the point of a mickey of vodka a day. Sure enough I started making bad decisions, one of which was trying oxy's. I started with 20mg's and the next thing I knew it was 40mg's, and after that I decided I'd try snorting them. The whole oxy process lasted a few months at least. I'm not sure because my memory hasn't been so good lately, not to mention the alcohol/oxy haze I was in. I've been clean from weed, alcohol, tobacco, and opiates for 19 days now. The decision to quit everything came after I almost fainted (at least that's what I think it was) one night. I've been dealing with the physical symptoms, but what's really getting me down is the mental part of it. I've been having really bad anxiety and always worrying about my health. I tend to be a bit of a hypochondriac and I feel that the withdrawals might accentuate that. Smoking marijuana was my comfort zone and I'm even afraid to do that now..
Old 02-16-2014, 04:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Please stay strong and reach out for medical support when needed; there are a variety of things to help you overcome your anxiety. A combination of therapy, meditation, and medication under the care of an experienced medical professional could offer you a promising future.

We will hold you in our thoughts and prayers.
Old 02-16-2014, 04:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I was getting tired of typing that out and was having trouble concentrating, so I forgot to mention that at times I am afraid for my life. I even end up focusing on my breathing to the point of where I start thinking there's something wrong with it. And of course that creates more anxiety.
Old 02-16-2014, 04:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome and congratulations.
You are doing so great, hang in there, all those bad withdrawals will pass, I know it can feel like forever but they will pass. It takes a quite a time to get messed up & it takes a little time to get sorted out...before you know it you will look back and wonder who that person was.
Old 02-16-2014, 04:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good idea to see the Doc.for a checkup and blood work
Old 02-16-2014, 04:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome NevrAgain

Support really helped me and my anxiety - I know you'll feel at home here

If you feel really worried, why not see a Dr?

D
Old 02-16-2014, 04:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Withdrawal from weed on is famous for causing bad anxiety for some people... alcohol likewise... Some of the worst substance-related experiences I had were mixing drugs. My main drug of choice was alcohol, but experimented with others many times, often along with booze. Particularly bad for me were mixing psychedelics with alcohol... a couple experiences when I thought I was losing my mind not while on them but the following days.

You have made a great decision to stop those things; hang on in, it may take a while to settle down, but is worth the effort!
Welcome to SR, it's a wonderful community with very valuable information and stories on the boards!
Old 02-16-2014, 04:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks to all for the support.
When I was really freaking out I went to the ER. They ran some tests, including bloodwork, and they didn't say there was anything wrong. Yet I continue to worry. My doctor has prescribed me some depression/anxiety meds, but I really don't know if I want to take them. I also have a stomach acid blocker medication and I'm afraid to mix the two. I tried the two together for the first time today and I ended up having a racing heartbeat briefly. I don't know if that was from the combination or from my own thoughts and anxiety about mixing them.
Old 02-16-2014, 04:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you mentioned to the Dr that you were also on these other meds it should be fine.

If you didn't and it was a private Dr you might want to give his or her office a call just to check the all the meds are compatible

D
Old 02-16-2014, 05:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I know you'll find a lot of support here. Congrats on nineteen days clean and sober.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Earlier today I experienced a burning/tingling sensation in my head. I've had it before and it usually leads to my heart racing, then getting dizzy and fighting off passing out. It happened on the night I decided to quit everything. I had a glass of beer and took about 25mg's of oxy, and about 4 hours later it happened. Before that it was probably close to 7 years ago that I first experienced this. I was with a friend smoking weed and we went to the gas station to get some munchies. As I got out of the car I started to feel strange, and the next thing I knew I was fighting off passing out, unable to speak or really move. My friend took me to the hospital and I didn't get any answers. The second time I was in Vancouver, and I believe I had just broken up with my girlfriend. I was pretty shook up and smoked with my friend to hopefully make me feel better. Unfortunately that was not the case. Again I was fighting to stay standing and to not pass out. I don't know if it's something neurological or if it's from stress. I'm not sure if I was stressed the first time, but I am definitely stressed now. With the anxiety I have right now my mind just jumps to the worst. Like is it a stroke? An aneurism, or some disease? Or is it just stress and anxiety? I'm freaking myself out.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Have you also seen a therapist or psychiatrist? I think someone who specializes in anxiety might be good for you, someone who could teach you anxiety management techniques.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I have similar problems at times. Cant breathe, feel like I'm gonna pass out, feel like I can't swallow.....as soon as I would have a drink....no more symptoms. I have felt like I was going to pass out in the store waiting in line but as soon as I got to the truck with my stupid beer I was all better. The stuff is just pure poison. I hate alcohol.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:53 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Welcome. My anxiety was unbearable at one point. My doctor was a terrific help sorting it out xxxx
Old 02-21-2014, 01:05 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

So it's day 24 of dropping everything. To recap that's alcohol, opiates, marijuana, tobacco, and even coffee. I still have a an odd tension in my head and am often worrying about my health and thinking about things I shouldn't be. Some days are better than others, but I'm so tired of this feeling. Yesterday was pretty good, but in the midst of feeling decent for once, and watching a movie, I had that overwhelming feeling in my head again (pretty depressing). It just creeps over me and usually gets worse unless I fight it off. I thought I had it under control but when I tried to say something to my brother I could barely get my words out. It's always scares me. I'm in the mindset where I jump to the worst, and start thinking things like, "Is it a stroke, or do I have a blood clot somewhere?" I went to the doctor today and told him where I'm at. I told him I'm at the point where I just want to get a barrage of tests. He didn't even set me up for some blood tests.. Dealing with him is very frustrating as I never seem to get any results. And to top it off he said that he doesn't think it's from withdrawals because it's been too long, and that just makes me think about what else is wrong.. I thought withdrawal symptoms could last for a month or more.
Old 02-21-2014, 01:21 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Nevr- First of all, wow- you're doing amazing!! I am so glad that you are sober, especially with your previous health issues!

I had some heart issues in the past which spontaneously resolved- right before I had to have an ablation procedure. Nowadays they kind of come and go. It's weird, and the doctors have no real answers for me. I can relate. It's REALLY scary when your body is doing something beyond your control, especially when it could lead to something serious. Yes, it's tempting to accuse someone of being a hypochondriac- but until you've experienced a scary medical issue that could drop you at any second, that's out of your control completely- you can't understand how terrifying it is! I'm pretty hyper-vigilant after all I've been through too.

That said, you know your body better than anyone. If that Doctor wasn't hearing you and you don't feel satisfied by your treatment- get a 2nd opinion! I know doctors can't stand me sometimes, but they don't get my respect simply for their degrees. I've worked with some outstanding docs and some that are actually P'sOS, and/or just bad at their jobs. Being a doctor doesn't remove your flaws as a human being (no matter how much some of them think it does). I've had doctors give me information that is flat out wrong, and had I listened- it could've lead to serious problems for me. Trust your gut and get that 2nd opinion if you aren't happy with your care!

Congrats on your sober time. You should be super proud of yourself! :-)
Old 02-21-2014, 01:49 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by badatbooze View Post
I have similar problems at times. Cant breathe, feel like I'm gonna pass out, feel like I can't swallow.....as soon as I would have a drink....no more symptoms. I have felt like I was going to pass out in the store waiting in line but as soon as I got to the truck with my stupid beer I was all better. The stuff is just pure poison. I hate alcohol.
This is an interesting phenomena. I too, would he having intense anxiety, walk to the store to buy beer, get to the store my hands are shaking as I hand them the cash, and soon as I get outside of the store, I'm fine..
Old 02-21-2014, 02:44 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on your sober time Nevr

If your Dr seems a little too disinterested, why not get a second opinion?

D
Old 02-21-2014, 11:10 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Serper2014 View Post
This is an interesting phenomena. I too, would he having intense anxiety, walk to the store to buy beer, get to the store my hands are shaking as I hand them the cash, and soon as I get outside of the store, I'm fine..
Reality sets in when that starts happening doesn't it. I can't put a finger on when it started happening but alcohol is the cause of all of these mental issues. It's terrible the damage we cause to ourselves.