Notices

Relapse after 2.5 years

Old 02-16-2014, 02:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Relapse after 2.5 years

I was sober 2.5 years. Before, I drank infrequently - maybe 2 or 3 times per year, but at least one of those times would be an all-night bender leaving me hung over for 2 days and usually having done something stupid I was ashamed of.

I've been seeing a therapist (for several reasons, not just alcohol) but haven't gone to a support group. Though I know frequency of drinking doesn't define alcoholism, I always felt strange about going to a group because of my very low frequency of drinking.

Now, having relapsed, I'm wondering if maybe some sort of support group, perhaps online, would be useful. Would I be too out of place? Thoughts?
Old 02-16-2014, 02:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This is a fantastic online support. And I think it would do you no harm for you to get online support. The question I ask myself is 'does alcohol cause a problem in my life'. The answer is yes for me, and it sounds like it does for you too. I can relate to two day hangovers and feeling mortified. It used to stop me from drinking for a good while. However, I soon did it again.

It's not the frequency/volume of drink, it's the consequences of it. I was born with two switches, and neither of them are 'stop'.

It's best I don't start.

Welcome to the boards.

S x
Old 02-16-2014, 03:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to a very supportive site. You won't be out of place here.
Old 02-16-2014, 03:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome jayrman

You'll find a lot of understanding and a lot of people to identify with here

D
Old 02-16-2014, 03:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for your words of support.

I'm struggling right now with whether to tell my SO. She's on vacation for a week with family, so I'm thinking of waiting until she gets back - I don't want to ruin her vacation. She and I have always been open about my drinking (she comes from a culture where alcohol is very prevalent, so she isn't convinced I have a problem), but I feel quite ashamed right now and don't want to use her as a "guilt drop" either.

Strangely, I also feel bad about dumping down the remaining alcohol down the toilet this morning - like it was a waste of money! Keep reminding myself that sobriety is much more important.
Old 02-16-2014, 03:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Certainly don't feel bad about dumping it down the toilet, it's better it being down there than down in your liver and up in your brain doing damage. Feelings of guilt and shame are incredibly common, I hope your SO understands
Old 02-16-2014, 03:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jayrman View Post

I was sober 2.5 years

Now, having relapsed, I'm wondering if maybe some sort of support group, perhaps online, would be useful. Would I be too out of place? Thoughts?
I relapsed twice at around that same period of time (just short of 3 years)
going to a support group may work out fine for you
they sure have helped me a lot over the years

does not matter how much or often you drank
if we are talking AA
the only requirement is a desire to stop drinking

Mountainman
Old 02-16-2014, 03:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome jayrman. Good job for admitting there's a problem & taking action.

I agree with Sazzle & Mtn. Man - it doesn't matter how often you drink - it's what happens to you when you do. Every time I took a sip I never knew where it would take me. It became dangerous & unpredictable. We're glad you joined us.
Old 02-16-2014, 04:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Welcome to SR. I come to this site everyday. You definitely are not out of place here.

If you are interested they do have chat meetings here every Tuesday & Friday night they start at 9:00 EST. They are really good meetings, there is always a topic or you can talk about anything that you need to.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I actually start drinking thinking I know where it's going, but hindsight shows I'm wrong. That's what made me realize I don't have control over alcohol and had to admit I had a drinking problem.

I'm in a weird situation - normally, everyone else knows someone is an alcoholic before they do, but in this case, hardly everyone - my SO, my family, my familes etc. - believes I'm an alcoholic and/or have a drinking problem. It's because I never drank that often (except perhaps during college).

Thanks for the info on the mtgs - I'll check them out.