Notices

The Journey Begins

Old 02-16-2014, 12:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Journey Begins

I would just like to say to all of you here that are sober, CONGRATS. Today is my second day and I am shocked at how hard it is. I am very proud of all of you. The past year of drug and alcohol abuse has left me a wreck today. I just hope it gets better and cannot wait for all your help. God Bless.

Jake
Old 02-16-2014, 12:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good for you! Keep on with it, it definitely gets better. Keep to it for six months, you'll be shocked at how easy it has become.
Old 02-16-2014, 12:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you! I look forward to seeing the benefits of being sober.
Old 02-16-2014, 12:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It will get easier, I promise. The longer you stay sober the easier it gets.
Old 02-16-2014, 12:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The withdrawal is not a fun process. I'm hot, then I'm cold. Anxiety, can't sleep well, restless. My brain and body trying to go back to baseline.
Old 02-16-2014, 12:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Congrats on getting to day 2! Yes, it really does get better. At times you are going to think that you will feel like this forever but believe me you won't.

I am over 18 months now and I have a sense of peace and contentment that I could never achieve when I was drinking.

You can do this! We are all behind you.
Old 02-16-2014, 12:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yeah the withdrawal is awful I prefer withdrawal to being drunk, you've regained control of yourself, well done on day 2 it gets easier. You seen a doctor?
Old 02-16-2014, 12:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Magsie

Originally Posted by thebose View Post
The withdrawal is not a fun process. I'm hot, then I'm cold. Anxiety, can't sleep well, restless. My brain and body trying to go back to baseline.
Hi thebose, I got all those symptoms and it was worth it in the long term. Stick with it and welcome to SR
Old 02-16-2014, 12:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Realising my life

A very warm welcome to SR, thebose You'll find plenty of wisdom, information and support here.

Well done on getting through that long, first day. And now you have all of us walking alongside you as well
Old 02-16-2014, 01:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Jake - you'll find a lot of support here

D
Old 02-16-2014, 02:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thebose View Post
I would just like to say to all of you here that are sober, CONGRATS. Today is my second day and I am shocked at how hard it is. I am very proud of all of you. The past year of drug and alcohol abuse has left me a wreck today. I just hope it gets better and cannot wait for all your help. God Bless.

Jake
You can. Today is a week for me. I was thinking this morning when I woke up how happy I am that I quit drinking. It's such a pleasure to wake up in the morning and not have my head hurting. Last night around 6pm I really would have liked to have a glass of wine but I didn't. Around 10pm, when I normally would have had more than my fair share of wine, I felt so glad that I had resisted at 6pm. Usually by 10pm I am too tired to do anything and would often fall asleep watching TV. But since I didn't drink, last night I was busy checking email and surfing the Internet at 10pm. I'm so glad I quit. I just hope I can stay quit.

Best wishes to you Jake. Hang in there!
Old 02-16-2014, 02:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Recognizes the Beast

15 months sober here. To quote the great Craig Ferguson, when I look back at my life 15 months and look at it today, I'd rather have my life today.
Old 02-16-2014, 02:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the support guys. For me, which I'm sure was the case with a lot of you, the hardest/scariest part of sobriety is learning to deal with life and all it's stress and anxiety without turning to drugs and alcohol. At first I thought I was so stressed and anxious and drinking and doing drugs would help, but I know see that drinking and using MADE the problem. Now I have to learn all over how to deal with life. I found myself chasing the highs for too long, and now I realize maybe life isn't all about the highs, maybe life was meant more for the in between everyday life.
Old 02-16-2014, 03:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Well done on two days xxxxxx