Notices

Going for it this time (again)

Old 02-16-2014, 11:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Going for it this time (again)

I know I said this before, but this time I think I'll be able to make it more than 6 days. I had 6 days under my belt, 5 days longer than I had in the past few months. i was feeling really good. Managed to eat pizza without wine, managed to finally get some sleep, and then I decided last night to have a "little" wine. I actually did have a "little" wine, didn't get drunk or anything, but felt like crap when I woke up this morning. I didn't consciously tell my roommate that I wasn't drinking the last 6 days, but she noticed. She doesn't know I drank last night and I'm not telling her. I'm just going to start over today. I really think this slipup proved my point that I feel so much better without drinking, although I do crave it all the time. So, on day 1 again and will keep on posting here. I'm optimistic to make it to at least a week this time.
Old 02-16-2014, 11:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You can do it! Just keep working to improve on the last effort and it will take you very far.
Old 02-16-2014, 11:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well done for having another go, I find the longer the stints of sobriety the easier it is to stay sober next time, it helps to get some help if you find it difficult as well
Old 02-16-2014, 01:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Can you think of things to do differently this time scintillady?

D
Old 02-16-2014, 03:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Going back to my addiction counselor, hopefully finding a new psychiatrist who will tweak my anti-depressant meds, and maybe prescribe antabuse. I feel that having the antabuse will take the whole "will I or won't I?" question out of the picture. I need to have some all or nothing help. I need to have some help taking choice out of the equation for awhile so I don't obsess on whether I'm going to stop on my way home and get alcohol or not. After about 2 months sober I think I will have become used to it, worked on some of the things that were causing me to use alcohol to cope, and be in a batter place to take 100% responsibility into my own hands. I know I'll probably get some flak about using the antabuse as a crutch, but I know myself by now and am sure it can be of use to me. I go for bloodwork tomorrow, and if my liver is OK I'm going to find a way to get it. Even when I was drinking at my worst my liver enzymes weren't too bad, so hopefully they are even better now.
Old 02-16-2014, 05:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm going for it to. I had three months a couple of years ago that were amazing. Took one slip to blow it. Two years of he'll later and I am going to give it hell. I'm behind you
Old 02-16-2014, 05:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I had an addiction counselor (still do) and she was most helpful to me, in lots of ways, not just getting sober. She is very 'no nonsense' and will give me feedback on what I tell her so that it makes more sense to me.

If you're drinking, your antiDs aren't going to help much. Don't drink and you'll get better results from your meds.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Didn't even think about drinking last night and not tonight either. Has to go on really strong antibiotics today because of a dog bite I got to my right hand Saturday night. In so much pain, fever, chills, can hardly use my hand etc. I don't attribute the lack of desire to drink to that, though. I think my willpower just keeps getting stronger now.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That's great Scintillady

Remember that the longer we don't drink or use the weaker the craving gets, for the most part. I think the first week is definitely the hardest.

And its fantastic that you didn't drink a huge amount when you did have a drink , that's really good. Well done.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

On day 6 this time. This is the day that I messed up last week, day 6. I don't feel like I'm going to this week, though. I feel stronger. Things have evened out with my best friend/sometimes lover, he's coming over tonight and he knows I'm not drinking any more. Still having trouble sleeping, though, even though I drink a special tea that supposedly helps with relaxation. Once I get to sleep I am OK, it's just getting to sleep that bothers me. I'm more optimistic than I've been in a long time.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Mary2

Well done friend. No matter how long you will get there. Sober is the new cool xxxx