Courage To Change 02/16/2014

Old 02-16-2014, 09:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Courage To Change 02/16/2014

In a tornado, you not only have to look out for the tremendous winds, but also whatever the winds pick up and hurl in your direction. Like a tornado, alcoholism often brings along additional problems, including verbal, physical, and sexual abuse, illness, debt, prison, infidelity, and even death. Some of these problems can be so embarrassing that we don't dare to talk about them. But in Al-Anon, we learned that we are only as sick as our secrets. Until we let them out into the light, they keep us trapped.
Most of us find it best to share our secrets with someone we can trust, someone who understands the disease of alcoholism. No matter how hopeless, different, or ashamed we may feel, there are Al-Anon members who have been through similar crisis and are willing to listen and help.

Today's Reminder

The times I most want to hide out with my secrets are probably the times I most need to reach out and share them with others. When facing a difficult situation, let me remember that my Higher Power speaks through other people. I don't have to face it alone.

"We move from being at the mercy of any problem that comes along to an inner certainty that no matter what happens in our lives, we will be able to face it, deal with it, and learn from it with the help of our Higher Power."

~…In All Our Affairs