Notices

Changing Our Thinking

Old 02-15-2014, 08:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Changing Our Thinking

When I first quit drinking it took me many relapses to realize that in order to stay sober I had to change my thinking.

Not easy for a 48 year old who was set in her ways, always had to be right and very judgemental.

To stop drinking is one thing, to stay sober is totally something else and requires a change in how we do things and the way we think of things.

Alcoholism thrives on the negativity and our addictive voice is constantly telling us not to try something and to basically give up before even starting. Our AV will constantly come up with excuses why we can't do something. Don't let the AV win anymore.

Once I started to open my mind and think outside the box things just started to click for me. Don't discount something just because you think it might not work or didn't work in the past. Focus on the positive of something rather than the negative.

I think of all the effort I put into staying drunk and believe me I put a lot of effort into that. I couldn't stay sober until I was willing to put the same effort into staying that way.

You all the power inside of yourself to do this! It's definitely not easy but the end rewards are so worth it.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

great post, thank you!
Old 02-15-2014, 08:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I agree.... learning more everyday. Thanks.
Old 02-15-2014, 09:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for this post!
I agree, there is a difference between quitting drinking and being committed to sobriety. Something that I notice here is that a brief period of quitting strangely can fuel alcoholism by imparting to us that we have "control". Quitting drinking without committing to sobriety is like fasting, simply a deprivation or a holding pattern.

Once we have decided that alcohol no longer has a place in our lives the work begins. I am still in my first year of sobriety and with every occurrence and emotion I handle without alcohol I am aware that I am changing. Change can be scary as an adult, yet when I think about the times I have grown the most in my life it has been because I was willing to take a new path. I am also in awe at the ability of the human body to adapt once it is given a chance.

I can't yet say I am grateful to be an alcoholic, not sure I ever will be. But I am aware that sobriety has forced me not to go through life in a stagnant fashion. Why us? Who would wish this on anyone? Maybe somehow this has been handed to us for a reason….and while I might not always be happy, I am more aware of the experience of being alive than I have ever been….

Thanks for an inspiring post!
Old 02-15-2014, 09:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Biggest lesson I have learned in sobriety is lowering my expectations of people, places and things. Acceptance. Letting things go, and setting boundaries.

ty for the post!!
Old 02-16-2014, 02:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by LadyinBC View Post
To stop drinking is one thing, to stay sober is totally something else and requires a change in how we do things and the way we think of things.
+1 This

I stopped drinking a hundred times. I started living sober once.
Old 02-16-2014, 02:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

great post
Old 02-16-2014, 03:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Fab post x