Notices

Seeking alternative beverage ideas

Old 02-15-2014, 09:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Seeking alternative beverage ideas

Okay, so yet another inpatient treatment ended this week, where I relearned the nature of addiction, was reintroduced to AA, got some good therapy and counseling...and worked up a serious coffee addiction! At detox, they limited our caffeine intake; once we hit the treatment center, it was full steam ahead, decaf be damned, all day long. Then nightly AA meetings with its 13th Tradition: the full coffee urn!

I know it's certainly better than the massive amounts of vodka I'd been ingesting, obviously...but since I've been home, still looking for full-time work, I'm averaging two pots a day. It's very effective at flushing out some of the excess fluids I've accumulated these past couple of years, but I could really use some alternative drinks, hot and cold, that might be a little gentler to my system. Like a lot of alcoholics, I don't feel complete without a beverage in my hand! I know that water is (should be) my first choice, and I do try...any thoughts?

24 days, yay me,
Arp
Old 02-15-2014, 10:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Cans or bottles of flavored seltzer. Zero calories and the bubbles are fun
Old 02-15-2014, 10:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Arpeggioh, are you thinking caffeine free? Try some kind of tea. Redbush(rooibos) is meant to have anti-oxidants etc. and you can add sugar, milk - whatever you want.

Congrats on the 24 days too.
Old 02-15-2014, 10:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bruce292 View Post
Cans or bottles of flavored seltzer. Zero calories and the bubbles are fun
I second this recommendation. I actually buy the plain seltzer and some fresh lemons and limes and squeeze them in a glass over some ice. Helps me feel I'm creating something nice as opposed to just opening a can.
Old 02-15-2014, 10:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Pure Radio Rental

I drink flavored seltzer but I like to add a little fruit juice for flavor.
Cran-Grape, and Cran-Cherry are my favorites. Just an ounce per quart bottle works great.
Plus my belches can knock pictures off the walls!
Old 02-15-2014, 10:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Timelord

I drink Chamomile Tea. Does your stomach the world of good and relaxes you.
Old 02-15-2014, 11:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

CAFFEINE! I know some ppl here don't like it, but most of us alchies do. I am careful not to go overboard with it, but I have 2 cups of coffee almost every morning, and I LOVE Red Bulls and other energy drinks (never have more than 1 a day). For evening I too am a huge fan of seltzer, teas (when you get sober and check out teas in the regular tea aisle and organic section of stores, the selection is mind-blowing), and I love Hazelnut Crème decaf coffee from New England Coffee company. I usually hate decaf, I can totally tell the difference in taste, but this particular one is amazing. Also, True Lime has assorted flavors, they are drink mixes in sticks you add to water, and they are so good and chemical free. There really is so much out there you can have
Old 02-15-2014, 11:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
International Man of Mystery

I started drinking more coffee. I used to guzzle it down to try to sober up at work, and it had ZERO effect on me. Now it perks me up in the morning. Those Arizona drinks are good too. I like the green tea.
Old 02-15-2014, 12:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Very true

Originally Posted by Dan Dare View Post
I drink flavored seltzer but I like to add a little fruit juice for flavor.
Cran-Grape, and Cran-Cherry are my favorites. Just an ounce per quart bottle works great.
Plus my belches can knock pictures off the walls!
Your comment about the belches made me LOL! I have been guzzling soda water with liquid no calorie flavourings from the supermarket...not the best health wise but my criteria these days is just NO BOOZE. The rest can go hang for awhile.

And coffee until 2pm....of course...dont want to mess with the life altering sleeps I have been having!
Old 02-15-2014, 12:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I like coke zero, cranberry and soda and lime. I prefer cold drink to hot. Fruit cocktails are nice too xxx
Old 02-15-2014, 12:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Rar

I'm also a seltzer fan - plain or flavored. A slice of lime or lemon with the plain is good too. Though I have 3-4 cups of coffee in the morning, I switch to water, seltzer or decaf tea in the afternoon and evening. I have a bottle of water on my nightstand for middle of the night sips. Seems I need a cup or glass in my hand most times.