Notices

I think my Dr. hates me.

Old 02-15-2014, 08:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I think my Dr. hates me.

Ok so I went to my dr. to get blood tests to make sure that I am ok since I have been drinking for, well ever. I got a bit emotional in her office because I am pretty embarrassed that I became an alcoholic. Anyhow I neglected to tell her all of my issues because I could tell she was really not impressed with me. She just wanted me out of her office. I feel like I still don't have a handle on my emotions and quite frankly I was ashamed to tell her. I don't care who else knows but to tell someone I need tests done because of something I have done to myself is difficult. Ah, maybe I am just being too sensitive. At least I got the blood tests done.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Maybe look to change your doc. when I saw my doc first I was so embarrassed. It's just bad luck sometimes when you get a bad doc but don't hesitate to change. You don't have to put up withit. YOu've nothing to be embarrased or ashamed about-you've done the right thing seeing your doc
Old 02-15-2014, 08:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Maybe she had something on her mind at the time. You may be overly sensitive to her reaction. I wouldn't worry about it. Be honest with her. It's the only way she can help you.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

yeah, i was thinking that too. I think I forget that even though dr.s are there to help they are still people with their own lives and they could be having a bad day as well.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm sorry. My doctor is more than understanding. I was embarrassed to see her yet again to tell I fell off the boat. But she made me feel welcome. Maybe find someone you feel more comfortable with. This **** is hard enough to deal with. You don't need to feel that way. Prayers.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Originally Posted by cusper View Post
Ok so I went to my dr. to get blood tests to make sure that I am ok since I have been drinking for, well ever. I got a bit emotional in her office because I am pretty embarrassed that I became an alcoholic. Anyhow I neglected to tell her all of my issues because I could tell she was really not impressed with me. She just wanted me out of her office. I feel like I still don't have a handle on my emotions and quite frankly I was ashamed to tell her. I don't care who else knows but to tell someone I need tests done because of something I have done to myself is difficult. Ah, maybe I am just being too sensitive. At least I got the blood tests done.
I have changed my doctor many times until I found a kindly, understanding one. Some of them are dreadful and nurses. I over heard a nurse once say, "Precious beds being taken up by ****-heads is awful." I was in for something entirely different and hadn't drunk for a long time at this point. I really let her have it and reported her to her superiors.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Health care worker shouldn't take their problems to work in my opinion. People's lives are in their hands. I wouldn't like to be operated on by a surgeon who was having and off day and was distracted - no excuse in my opinion.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I know some general practice docs. I was recently talking with a group of them about the difference between a good GP and a bad GP. They said a good GP sees a patient with the assumption that the patient will be holding back something, that whatever specific thing they might be bringing up, there's very likely a larger issue or concern behind it. They said a good doc understands that, recognizes that it's human nature to be afraid and embarrassed, and takes the time to gently probe until they find out what's really going on.

Sounds to me like you did everything but hold up a neon sign. Feeling emotional isn't a mistake, it's a natural response to one of life's scariest, toughest challenges. Your doctor seems to have forgotten the basics of being a good doctor, at least in that moment. And as noted, that's part of being human, too. But please cut yourself some slack as well. And remember there's pretty much nothing you can tell a doctor that they haven't heard many times before.
Old 02-15-2014, 09:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you. I know. I suppose I was extra scared because she has been my family doctor since I was 15. She is also my entire family's doctor as well. I don't know how much she knows but my mother is a non-admitting alcoholic and goes to her. I think I would have been less ashamed if I had gone to some unknown dr. I think I might in the future. Thank you for your responses
Old 02-15-2014, 09:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

would you be embarrassed to bring your car to the shop cuz you drag raced with it? Who cares....its your body and life. Be proud that you've finally had the stones to find out....
Old 02-15-2014, 09:24 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

KateL,
btw that is terrible. I cannot believe a nurse said that. I am learning a lot in my recovery and really it's the lack of compassion and understanding when it comes to addiction or mental health- in a broad sense. This is why I am also so thankful for this site.
Old 02-15-2014, 11:36 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Get a new doctor.
Old 02-15-2014, 11:39 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I would definitely be looking for a new doctor. They shouldn't judge, they are supposed to be there to help.
Old 02-15-2014, 11:50 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

When I told my doc that I was an alcoholic and I needed to get all tests done he was so happy I told him. Supportive and asked me about my program and was so caring. Your primary doc should give you more attention and support. Sil
Old 02-15-2014, 11:53 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cusper View Post
It might be a good idea to do a little doctor shopping. It is important that you feel comfortable enough with your doctor to be completely honest.

Hope that your test results are all normal. Congratulations on your sobriety. It takes a strong to quit drinking AND smoking at the same time. Quite impressive.
Old 02-15-2014, 12:47 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Rar

>>>>>I know some general practice docs. I was recently talking with a group of them about the difference between a good GP and a bad GP. They said a good GP sees a patient with the assumption that the patient will be holding back something, that whatever specific thing they might be bringing up, there's very likely a larger issue or concern behind it. They said a good doc understands that, recognizes that it's human nature to be afraid and embarrassed, and takes the time to gently probe until they find out what's really going on.>>>>>

This was very interesting to me. With this in mind, I'm trying to recall my doctor visits.