Courage To Change 02/15/2014

Old 02-15-2014, 08:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Courage To Change 02/15/2014

We talk a great deal about working the program. Actually what we do is to practice what we're learning. It's like studying a second language. The student reads books and attends classes, but this only gives him technical knowledge. To be able to use the language he must be around those who speak and understand it. He practices listening and speaking while continuing to read. If he stays with it, in time it will become a lifelong skill.
So it is with many of us. We begin with little knowledge and many misconceptions. We go to meetings, learn about alcoholism, and study Al-Anon literature. But to actually be able to use this knowledge takes time, patience, and effort. We spend time around people who speak the Al-Anon language, especially those who are making a strong commitment to practicing Al-Anon's principles in their own lives. We continue to listen, to read, to learn. In this way the Al-Anon way of life sinks in until it becomes second nature. Then, because we are constantly changing, we have opportunities to learn and practice some more.

Today's Reminder

If I want to become skillful at applying the Al-Anon program to my life, I need to do more than go to an occasional meeting. I must make a commitment and practice, practice, practice.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."

~Aristotle
Old 02-15-2014, 08:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Carlotta, thanks for these reminders and for this one in particular. Exactly where my thoughts have thankfully been today. This makes it that much stronger.