Notices

12 days sober and Happy Valentines Day

Old 02-14-2014, 04:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

12 days sober and Happy Valentines Day

Im sober 12 days now. I have some unpleasant things behind me (had court due to drinking) and that was last week. Things should be good now....but I feel melancholy. I wish I could cry, feel like it would help, but nothing to really cry about. I have many things to be grateful for. As always but even more so today on Valentines Day I wonder if I will fall in love again and this time with someone healthy. I miss the laughter and ease I felt with my x. I miss my friend. (My x is still drinking, cant hold a job b/c of it, legal troubles...all that). Still, I felt at home with him. Anyway, love to you all out in soberville.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Proud of you LooseGrip 12 days is wonderful.

Melancholy is the perfect word - I understand completely. In the early days our emotions are all over the place. I also get your ambivalent feelings towards your x. I had that situation too. Things will continue to get better LG - you're doing great.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Rar

Congrats LooseGrip. I have been sober 12 days also. I understand what you mean about being melancholy. I have been melancholy wanting to cry also these last couple of days. I, like you, have so many great things in my life. As Hevyn says, our emotions are all over the place and we just have to ride it out.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 12 days!! I know what you mean about the melancholy feeling. When I was in my first month or so, after the initial excitement of being sober more than a few days in a row wore off, I got to that point as well. Then, I started to get back to who I used to be and started to feel happy, motivated and relaxed again. Emotions are all over the place as our body adjust to being free of poison.

This will be my 5th Valentine's Day single after ending two long-term relationships back to back. However, this is my first one sober and it has got me wondering some of the same things. All I know is I have to keep being myself and learning who that is and then the right person will come along. At least that's what we are supposed to tell ourselves, right.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

hey LooseGrip

12 days is still pretty early in the piece and it's perfectly natural to feel emotional.

Stay focused, and this time next year you'll look back and marvel at the changes you've made for your new sober life

D
Old 02-14-2014, 05:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Loosegrip, I am also at 12 days, and also wondering if I will ever fall in love again. I know what you mean about feeling at home you ex. It is hard to move on and remember the good as well as the bad. I think the best thing we can do is focus on ourselves, our sobriety, feel our feelings but don't act on them, and have faith that it will all work out as long as we keep doing the right thing.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on twelve days sober! That's a great start.
Old 02-14-2014, 06:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Cry, sob until you can't cry anymore. Crying is good. It releases so much from your body and mind. You have much to cry about. We all do. We are taught and told "don't cry". Therefore, we hold the tears in sometimes embarrassed to show our emotions. Isn't it strange that we are embarrassed to cry but not to laugh yet each is an equal emotion. If you sob your heart out when you are finished you will feel completely tired, relaxed and relieved. Go to it!