Think I'm ready to fix me!

Old 02-13-2014, 12:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Think I'm ready to fix me!

Well this is my first post and is completely pointless! I just wanted to say that I'm finally ready to get some help for me, I've been with my alcoholic husband for 4 years and I'm only now planning to go to Al-anon, work the steps and fix myself. Ridiculously scared of the whole thing but I thought I'd take a first baby step and post on here. I live in a rural area of the UK and only have meeting once a week so thought I'd keep my resolve going by saying hello!

Well done for getting this far in my ramblings, no need to respond just wanted the 'therapy' of putting it somewhere public!xxx.
Old 02-13-2014, 12:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

Are you joking?

THIS may be the BEST First Post EVER.

"Think I'm ready to fix me!"

Wow! I bow in awe.

Welcome.
Old 02-13-2014, 12:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome aboard Bunny
Onward and upward!
Old 02-13-2014, 01:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Al-Anon is soooo not ridiculously scary. Kind of like jumping off a diving board...the fear that comes before the first meeting is way out of proportion to the actual event. And it's a completely self-paced program "there are no "musts" in Al-Anon." So you can decide to dive into the deep end, or just stick your toe in the water (see what I'm doing here?)...and no one is going to tell you you're doing it wrong.
Well someone may, but those sorts of people are in every group and a healthy Al-Anon group will really try to weed that kind of behavior out.
And just by the way, I have immense admiration for those people who do have the courage to jump in the deep end. But I'm learning to love myself, even if I'm not one of those people.
Best of luck to you on your journey. It is so cool. To quote one of the old timers: "Hang on, it's going to be a hell of a ride!" I completely agree with Hammer. "Best first post ever!"
Old 02-13-2014, 01:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello and Welcome!

What a great, refreshing post! Glad you are here!
Old 02-13-2014, 01:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much, although completely freaked out at the thought of my first meeting I'm also really quite excited! I now just have to maintain the momentum for a week before I go to that meeting. I'll just keep focused on the serenity prayer as that has helped me through some real tough bits recently!
Old 02-13-2014, 02:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hello, bunny! Welcome!

I think you will be pleasantly surprised. You have already some a long way.

If you have lived for 4yrs. with an alcoholic---believe me--you are strong enough to walk into a room full of fire-breathing dragons.

Actually, you will be welcomed with compassion and understanding by people who have felt exactly like you.

Again, welcome from virginia, USA (near Dulles international airport).

dandylion
Old 02-13-2014, 02:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Bunny. I was a total weenis about getting to Alanon. I delayed sooo long because I was filled with anxiety about it all. But I've been going for several months and have even led a couple of meetings. Recently I got elected as a group representative to go to the district meetings. One of the ladies nominated me after our old gr moved away. I was so touched by the confidence they had in me. Alanon has been a great experience for me. I hope it is for you too. Take care and welcome.
Old 02-13-2014, 02:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome honey bunny!
Old 02-13-2014, 03:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Bunny,

Welcome to SR!

I've said this several times lately, but it's very true -- there are a lot of GOOD people who are affected by the disease of alcoholism. There is a lot of support available and you're not alone. Since I didn't start going to Alanon until after my husband's rehab, it took family week at rehab for me to fully comprehend this. Once I started going I wondered why it took me so long to get there.

Wishing you well with each step of your own healing.