Notices

emotional hangover

Old 02-13-2014, 12:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

emotional hangover

I've haven't had anything to drink since Sunday night, nor have I engaged in any of my other maladaptive escaping behaviors (weed, eating disorder symptoms, self injury, etc). I expected that physically I would feel amazing, given I'm eating well and not putting alcohol into my body; but instead I feel like ****. It doesn't make sense to me that it would be withdrawal as I typically only drank a half pint or a couple glasses of wine each night and sometimes would go a night with little or nothing and have no withdrawal symptoms at all. For me it was much more about how I felt and who I became when I drank than about the amount.

Anyways, the past 2 days I have literally felt hungover. I wake up exhausted after not sleeping well, sweaty, and with a headache. All day my muscles just feel tense and I physically feel hungover. I'm a little confused as to why this is. I spoke with my sponsor last night and she feels it is what she calls an "emotional hangover" I.E. I've been self medicating for so long that all of a sudden all the emotions I haven't allowed myself to feel are hitting me at once. I guess I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this and if anyone has helpful hints on how to feel better.....because feeling like this seriously makes me want a drink.
Old 02-13-2014, 12:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Everything came at me when I got sober and I tried to deal with them one by one. My rule is forgive yourself and move on xxxxx
Old 02-13-2014, 01:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I guess I just did realize I could feel so physically ill from refusing to feel my emotions for such a long time. It's a bit overwhelming.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Whatever you do, don't drink! Early sobriety can be rough sometimes and leave us feeling unable to deal with the emotions we've been suppressing all this time. It will pass. Stay sober and treat yourself well. It will get better.
Old 02-13-2014, 02:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hopeful--
I'm on day 13. I stopped cold turkey with no acute withdrawal, but I felt the way you described til about Day 10. It takes a while to get the alcohol out of your system, even for lighter drinkers; it takes a lot of energy to fight those cravings; and then on top of that we have to face head on the difficult circumstances we are accustomed to escaping. Hang in there!
Old 02-13-2014, 02:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's very common. I think a lot of us underestimate the physical and mental damage regular long term drinking does.

Hopefully you'll feel better as time goes on HY. If not, you can always see your Dr?

D
Old 02-13-2014, 03:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yoga has been extremely helpful. And look up paws. I am struggling with that I think.