Notices

The truth we know, but don't want to hear...

Old 02-13-2014, 07:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The truth we know, but don't want to hear...

Being an alcoholic is one thing. Getting, and staying sober is another. As I look back at all of my failed attempts to stop drinking... This is what I realize. First off, I've only tried to quit drinking on my own. Btw that itself is a disaster waiting to happen. Why? In the event I had an opportunity to drink... I'd drink. My alcoholic mind is set-up to encourage me to drink even though I know I shouldn't. Its a cycle. We tend to talk ourselves out of real help because underneath the truth we really don't want to stop drinking. "Oh, AA iisn't for me." "I'm fine, I don't need to see a doctor." "My problem isn't bad enough for me to go to rehab." The thing is being an alcoholic is a way of life. Alcohol is our life. Without it what do we do? We need help, and support to learn how to live without alcohol. If we don't get it.... alcohol is all we know, so its what we'll always run back to. And this is why we fail. I just came off of a 2 week binge. Today is day #2. Yesterday I called a treatment center (which I made a thread about). Appointment is today, and I'm looking forward to getting REAL help. I just wanted to post this to encourage everyone else struggling with getting sober on their own to do the same. If what we're doing isn't working then we must try something new. Oh, and I've said I would get help many times.... never stuck to my word. This time I am. Hope this helps someone. I might even need to come bac, and read this again myself. Good luck with sobriety! Thanks for listening.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober Today

Originally Posted by Toodie View Post
We tend to talk ourselves out of real help because underneath the truth we really don't want to stop drinking.
This is so true. Or at least it is in my case. Thank you for the post.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

"Oh, AA isn't for me."
This has nothing to do with denial or an unwillingness to accept the truth.

I'm sure a lot of people look at RR/AVRT and say "That isn't for me." I would never, ever, suggest that person is refusing to hear the truth or is in denial.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I knew my drinking was a big problem but kept on drinking anyway cause I didn't know how to live sober. So glad I finally stopped drinking. My sober life is great!
Old 02-13-2014, 08:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Everyone is different. I'm speaking for myself, and people like me. I meant it like... denying the problem is big enough to seek help. I've never looked for help. So how do I know it won't work?

I see what you're saying too. And agree. I might not like the treatment center, but AA might be better. How would I know if I don't try.... and that is what I'm suggesting. Try to find help that is right for you. :-D
Old 02-13-2014, 08:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I agree. If you think about it most of us have tried everything possible in able to drink like normal people. I believe it stands to reason that we owe it to ourselves to try everything possible if sobriety isn't sticking.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

And those quotes are mine... things I've said, we'll my alcoholic mind anyway trying to discourage me to change. I fully know I need professional help, and can't quit on my own.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

And those quotes are mine... things I've said, we'll my alcoholic mind anyway trying to discourage me to change. I fully know I need professional help, and can't quit on my own.