Notices

Avrt

Old 02-13-2014, 06:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Avrt

I had my eyes opened last night. I'm on day 11 and am doing well, getting better every day, but I wanted something more solid to base my sobriety on. AA does not appeal to me, so I looked at the rational recovery site (someone had suggested it to me, I'm sorry, I have forgotten who. The first few days of recovery were a blur) I was amazed. AVRT is exactly what I needed! As I read through the flash card, I cried and laughed and was scared and empowered. I now know, I will never drink again. It is so liberating! The beast is still there, but has no power over me. I want to thank you all for the support and kind words. This is one of the hardest things I have ever done and its so nice to know I'm not alone. And for anyone struggling today, give rational recovery a look.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Poison Eater Extraordinaire

That's awesome, Jill! Glad you have found a method/plan that resonates!!
Old 02-13-2014, 07:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I just checked out the avrt website and it made me feel good. I will never drink again. Saying it makes me feel empowered. I'm on day 1 and needed the extra boost. Thanks.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I just ordered a couple RR books from Amazon the other day and can't wait to read them! Glad it's working for you! That's awesome!
Old 02-13-2014, 07:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Glad you found something that will help you. Don't totally discount other types of support but tailor something which works for you. I think whatever method you adopt the main criteria is that you WANT to stop and have the resolve and commitment to carry on when you face the tough days. I also use AVRT and found it so usefull in recognising and ignoring my urges. The cravings do become less frequent and less strong but be aware they may still surprise you. All the best in your journey.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Congratulations to you, Jill23 on your Big Plan! This is wonderful news - I can hear your excitement! I know I felt exactly as you do when I realized that even if I could not control my thoughts, I could control my actions. It was the greatest feeling of relief I had ever experienced when I understood in a deep place of knowing that I had quit drinking for good. All the misery that went along with addiction to alcohol was over.

Please pop over to the Secular Connections forum for some great discussion of AVRT and other non twelve step approaches to sobriety.

You most certainly CAN make the choice you have made, and you make it by believing in yourself and demanding a life free of addiction. You can do this. Onward!
Old 02-13-2014, 02:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you've found something that speaks to you, Jill - good stuff!

D
Old 02-13-2014, 04:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you, Freshstart. There is no cookie cutter plan for sobriety, I'm so glad I found this! I didn't even think about happy hour tonight. I'm feeling more confident about my sobriety every day
Old 02-13-2014, 05:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm glad you've found something that works for you.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm glad you tried AVRT, Jill! It has been great for me, too. All I have ever done is the "Bullets for my Beast" slideshow but that has been enough. I have been sober for what, 17 months now? No slips, no relapses and very little in the way of cravings. It just "flipped the switch" in my brain; by saying I will never drink again and never change my mind there's no ambiguity, not wiggle room. The possibility of booze just keeps the AV going. One day at a time would be exhausting for me...never again is so much simpler!
Old 02-13-2014, 11:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Originally Posted by Jill23 View Post
Thank you, Freshstart. There is no cookie cutter plan for sobriety, I'm so glad I found this! I didn't even think about happy hour tonight. I'm feeling more confident about my sobriety every day
This is really what recovery is all about. Finding what works for you and working it.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Avrt + Jason Vale book + SR +Never going to drink again = total freedom , for me anyway.