Notices

Thoughts of Drinking

Old 02-12-2014, 08:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thoughts of Drinking

Hi everyone. I don't know what's been going on with me the past couple of days, but I have been thinking to myself..."what if I just have a glass of wine and see what happens?" Why am I having these thoughts? I know what will happen if I have just one drink. I have been sober now for 78 days. Why would I want to ruin what I have worked so hard for? I went to the grocery store earlier tonight and I literally had a stare down with a bottle of wine. Normally, I can just walk right by the wine section. Why is this happening now? I don't want to have these thoughts! This disease is so frustrating!
Old 02-12-2014, 09:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Those thoughts are very common waterscapes.
78 days is long enough for us to forget a little why we stopped drinking, but not really long enough for the gifts of sobriety to really manifest themselves yet.

sometimes it's just down to patience, or sometimes there's other factors....

what if I just have a glass of wine and see what happens?"
yeah you already know what happens - we don't reset to a 'normie' default, no matter how much sober time we have, although most of us have wished we did.

are you stressed, bored, lonely, angry? Those kinds of things can be difficult to negotiate if the only tool we had was booze.

do you have any support apart from SR?

Have you made any changes to your life, besides not drinking?

D
Old 02-13-2014, 12:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Freedom resides in the fact that although we have the thoughts we do not have to act on them. Don't let them hijack you, your decision to remain sober & have a better life is your priority at times like this.
Stay strong.
Old 02-13-2014, 12:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Early recovery is a very up and down time. Having thoughts of drinking is common. It's up to you to not act on them.
Old 02-13-2014, 12:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thoughts of drinking are normal in the early months..and sometimes they are really strong. The good news is, if you can get past them, they happen less and less the further you move away from the bottle.

What helped me was completely changing my routine. I identified trigger times, before dinner was a big one...cooking and drinking went hand in hand for me...so we ate at different times, or took turns with the cooking. I got busy, hit a meeting, spent hours on SR talking to others, went out and met up with friends (non-drinking).

But I didn't sit alone with those feelings, they were too strong. I needed reinforcements, and SR is the best place to find them