Notices

Hanging by a Thread - not sure I can do this

Old 02-12-2014, 01:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Rar

Hanging by a Thread - not sure I can do this

Hi All..........I'm on Day 11 and hanging by a thread. It's not so much that I want to drink for 'drink's sake', it's just that I can't stand the anxiety and/or stress any longer. I've suffered from anxiety for many years and am prescribed xanax, which I limit to 1 or 2 .5 mg pills per day. Also, I have restless leg syndrome which adds to my nightly torment. So, I believe I used beer primarily to relax me and to help me sleep at night. Naturally, the amount of beer escalated over the years.

Initially when I quit drinking, I suffered quite a bit of anxiety, but I was hopeful it would decrease as the days went by. Since then, I've suffered from severe itching, a rash and now a skin burning sensation (like a bad sunburn) covering most of my body to include my face. I go to water aerobics every day and feel pretty good while I'm exercising, though I'm still aware of the burning sensation. I just took 1/2 of a xanax and the burning sensation has lessened, but it's still not gone.

I think I have two reasons for this anxiety (1) - my liver enzymes were elevated: AST: 53 (normal is 15-46) ALT: 91 (normal is 5-65) and (2) I also have emphysema. The two health problems together seem insurmountable.

Anyway, I just don't know what to do. I feel like crying and feel going back to my old way of life will at least get rid of the anxiety. My husband does not think I am an alcoholic, nor does he think I have a drinking problem. He thinks a couple of beers will help me.

Has anyone else experienced such symptoms or unbearable anxiety?
Old 02-12-2014, 01:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Drinking actually made my anxiety worse Rar. Especially towards the end. Perhaps you could see a doctor to get some help with the medical issues? Any of them that are specifically related to withdrawal will pass, they are only temporary.

Drinking now will reset the clock on your hard earned sobriety and withdrawal, and might even escalate into a worse situation than last time you quit.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Alcoholic or not, you can't argue with elevated liver enzymes.

When I became Sober, I couldn't really cope with the anxiety/stress of life, even now I'm still trying to figure it out. I used to use alcohol to numb things in the evenings, I know now though that my anxiety was being compounded with alcohol and not cured, as in the morning upon waking it was still there again to say good morning.

So what did I do? well we have to find a new fix for the problem, someway of reducing anxiety without alcohol, a healthier way, as our livers simply won't put up with it forever, we need to find a way.

It depends on the person I guess, but I simply find going for long walks, plenty of fresh air and a few ipod tunes helps a lot in the evenings, it gets me over any cravings, others I'm sure will have other ideas on things that work.

But we need to make it work, we can be comforted though that we're not on our own!!
Old 02-12-2014, 01:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

It's early days and the anxiety does lessen with time. Alcohol always made it worse for me too xxxx
Old 02-12-2014, 01:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Please try to get thru this without drinking. I know it is easy to say but you will get thru this.

My absolute worse week was week 3. I thought I would go thru the roof I was so anxious and was literally crawling out of my skin. I got thru it a minute at a time.

Also like others said go see your doctor if you have to.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

And totally off topic but if that is your dog what a cutie! Sometimes just sitting and cuddling my dogs gave me a bit of strength.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Rar

I feel I should be over the withdrawal by now and with that in mind, worry that I'm going to feel like this forever.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Rar View Post
Has anyone else experienced such symptoms or unbearable anxiety?
Experienced the unbearable anxiety of wanting a drink?...yes.

The only way to get through it is by not drinking. Perhaps you need some face-to-face support, since you aren't really getting it from your spouse.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Do you exercise? I found that a daily exercise routine significantly reduced my anxiety especially early in my recovery. Now that I've been sober for a while I've found that drugs and alcohol were a significant contributor to my anxiety. I can't say enough about meditation (mindfulness) but it took me several months before It really started to help me.

I also had horrible blood work when I was drinking. It's a scary thing.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

I feel I should be over the withdrawal by now and with that in mind, worry that I'm going to feel like this forever.
You will not feel like this forever you really won't. Hang tight please! You can get thru this. If I can, you can .
Old 02-12-2014, 01:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Rar

Yes, I do exercise everyday in the mornings, but thinking of adding an afternoon session. Mornings I swim or go to water aerobics and during summer I add a game of golf in the afternoons, weather permitting. A difficult life, I know.

I'm encouraged that all of you believe my symptoms will pass. Just posting here has lessened the burning sensation, which makes me believe it is anxiety related. Many thanks for the support.

@ Bruce: How is your bloodwork now that you have quit drinking?
Old 02-12-2014, 02:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Early recovery is not easy - especially if you have medical conditions that you self medicated for with alcohol.

But, you can get through it. I was convinced I'd never make it but I knew going back to drinking would kill me.

Things got better

If things get overwhelming, it's always good to see your Dr - they can help with the anxiety, the restless leg and the emphysema.

A little tonic water has helped my lifelong restless leg prob, by the way
Old 02-12-2014, 02:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I also have generalized anxiety since my teenage years and it's not easy to manage. It was one of the things that eventually led me to drinking, which of course, made everything so much worse. I also worried a lot about health issues and finally had to accept that a lot of it was out of my control. I do what I can to take care of my health but that's all I can do.

Have you tried yoga and/or meditation?
Old 02-12-2014, 02:28 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Rar

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Early recovery is not easy - especially if you have medical conditions that you self medicated for with alcohol.

But, you can get through it. I was convinced I'd never make it but I knew going back to drinking would kill me.

Things got better

If things get overwhelming, it's always good to see your Dr - they can help with the anxiety, the restless leg and the emphysema.

A little tonic water has helped my lifelong restless leg prob, by the way
My primary doc tried me on 1/2 of the lowest dose of an anti-depressant a few months ago. I tried to hang in there a couple of weeks with it, but eventually stopped them. In that case, the cure was worse than the disease.

I drink flavored or plain seltzer water on a regular basis. That seems similar to tonic water, right?

I want to see my doc, but my whole family has known him for 30+ years and I'm embarrassed to admit my problem is alcohol.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:31 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I want to see my doc, but my whole family has known him for 30+ years and I'm embarrassed to admit my problem is alcohol.
Whatever you share with him is private, and rest assured that if he's been a doctor for 30 years he's probably seen hundreds of people who have alcohol issues. He is there to help you and will if you want.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:07 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I suggest that if you can't be honest with your doc....maybe you need to get a new doc. I got a new doc as I felt the need to start fresh and HONEST. I've been really honest with my new doctor; I don't always like what she is saying, but I know it is what I need to hear. I also found MUCH relief with my anxiety the longer I remained sober. My drinking really did a number on my anxiety. This will get better!!
Old 02-12-2014, 05:10 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

I drink flavored or plain seltzer water on a regular basis. That seems similar to tonic water, right?
Its the quinine in the tonic water that helps, not the bubbles

If you're not comfortable speaking about your problems with your current doc, maybe a new one might serve you better for this?

D
Old 02-12-2014, 05:49 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You won't feel this way forever, it just seems that way now. This will pass. And be honest with your doctor to get the best help. Trust me, they've seen it all already.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:55 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Rar

Ahhh - the quinine. I never thought of that. Hubby purchased a whole bunch of sparkling water last week. (I previously drank flavored seltzer). Anyway, I checked the ingredients of the sparkling water and discovered it contained aspartame. When I googled aspartame, I discovered it does have side effects, among them itching and skin disorders. I think I'll eliminate that and see what happens. Meanwhile, I'm going to get some tonic water.

My pulmonologist was the one who suggested to me that I was self medicating and ordered the blood work (after the sleep study) to check for low iron. I imagine my blood work results were forwarded to my primary. I like my primary. He's been with me through allot (miscarriages, COPD, pneumonia), but I wasn't entirely forthcoming with him last year on the amount I began to drink because I didn't want him to think less of me.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:00 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Some people can't handle quinine...so if it doesn't agree with you, disregard my advice LOL.

D