Notices

How did you say goodbye to alcohol?

Old 02-11-2014, 10:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How did you say goodbye to alcohol?

Did you have a last hooray? Or were you less ceremonial? I'm not deciding what I want to do, but I'm still drinking. "Time to say goodbye" keeps running through my head.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I really don't recommend last hurrahs - what usually happened for me I felt so awful the day after that I always 'needed' a hair of the dog...and the cycle continued.

Just make a decision to quit, and quit.
It is really is the best way Sydney

D
Old 02-11-2014, 10:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Magsie

No last hoorays for me Sydney1988, just realised it was ruining my life and killing me and hopefully I stopped in time before too much damage done.x
Old 02-11-2014, 10:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That may have come across incorrectly. I'm certainly not asking anyone to condone a last binge party. The question is more about how you came to stop. I guess its where you hit the rock. Did you keep digging or was that it? Does that clarify?
Old 02-11-2014, 10:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

My story?
I nearly died from my drinking and that was enough to convince me, Sydney.
By age 40 I was drinking all day everyday - my world had shrunk to my little 2 room apartment, my recliner chair and my TV...my music career was over - too many drunken gigs - my dwindling social circle was exclusively alcoholic, and my only regular outings were to the liquor store and back.

I'd long let go of any pretense of functionality - everybody in my neighbourhood knew I was a drunk - they saw me stumbling, unwashed, dazed, red eyed, struggling to the bottle shop and back , daily.

I began to fall over frequently - and despite being accomplished at falling 'safely', I was often too drunk to manage this - so I hit my head hard more and more often.

On my last day of drinking, I was already drunk when I caught the bus to the store (walking was not really an option in that state). I missed the last step off the bus...I hit my head on the kerb so hard it bounced...

I got up, held a handkerchief to my bleeding brow...and continued straight into the liquor store.

I remember them bandaging me up..and me insisting I was fine and buying booze. I don't remember getting home, or the rest of that day, but I do remember that night when, even more drunk, I woke up and stumbled into the bathroom...I slipped and hit my head - again - on the corner of the bath.

I lay there on the floor, not able to get up for being drunk, and disorientated, and I knew in that instant with absolute certainty that I was going to die if I kept on this way - no perhaps, no what ifs, no maybes through cirrhosis or other alcohol related conditions...

I knew I was going to fall more and more often...and then once too often...and die.

It was my moment of clarity perhaps. Whatever it was, I have never been more sure of anything.

I felt so disorientated and disconnected I thought for several days it might have already been too late.

In a sense it was I guess - I still carry the physical legacy of that last day. I'd suffered some mini strokes. I've never been the same since - in many ways. A permanent reminder of where I was headed.
D
Old 02-11-2014, 10:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I knew I had to quit, even though I didn't want to. I was struggling to function and was calling in sick all the time. I was utterly miserable and desperate to stop drinking. There was no 'moment'. I had come to a horrible place emotionally and physically and I knew that the only solution was to stop drinking. I never considered being able to drink 'normally'. I knew in my heart I had to completely abstain from alcohol. I had to act, despite my reluctance. There was never a moment when I hit rock bottom and that was the turning point. I just couldn't continue to live like I had been living.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
My story?
I nearly died from my drinking and that was enough to convince me, Sydney.

D
Dee. Your story is quite inspiring. To know you've gone through that and have come out on the other side stronger and better is wonderful. It seems so much easier to give in though. I want to believe that this is the path, but it seems so... I don't know. Maybe pointless? Maybe even undesirable? I wish I was as strong as you. Able to say no. Not to go to the cabinet and open another bottle. I hope it happens. It's just too easy isn't i?
Old 02-11-2014, 10:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

It can be, but once you accept that you really are alcoholic and all that means and entails...once you truly accept that it's the first drink that opens the door to the madness...drinking becomes something very different to the harmless pastime we try to convince ourselves it is.

I know it's scary to think about change - leaving any kind of a relationship - even a bad one - is scary - but none of us would be here on SR if we lost out on the deal Sydney.

It's a total leap of faith, and the early days aren't fun - but I guarantee you won't regret your decision to get and stay sober

D
Old 02-11-2014, 10:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Every time you don't pick up a drink, you get stronger. Once you start to get some recovery tools under your belt, you'll feel better.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Last hurrahs never worked for me. Getting all amped or philosophical about quitting in a big drunk never worked. I just started to get bored with it. Constantly pouring liquid down my throat. The results always the same. Just boring. What helped me was to become more self aware. I asked my self a lot, while doing the thing, sort of waking myself up, "Why are you... going to the liquor store? drinking one more? Etc. I really started to deliberately challenge myself and my drinking decisions; in a healthy way. And I sort of petered out in boredom. It just became so boring and futile. I am so much happier, productive, content...

Last edited by cardoon; 02-11-2014 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Added. Clarification
Old 02-11-2014, 11:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

For me it wasn't one event, more of "death by a thousand cuts." After years of being miserable knowing I had a problem I started to consider stopping. I guess I had a moment of clarity and found SR. Tears ran down my face as I read the stories from other people and their battles with booze. When I got to SR I was already pretty drunk, so I drank everything in the house but vowed that would be it. So I drank all four bottles of wine, got really plastered and was sick for a couple days. But I never have drank again (this was October 2012).
Old 02-12-2014, 01:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

last hurrah

i had a last hurrah, went to atlanta christmas weekend 2013...blacked out 2nights back to back...dont remember much of anything, apparantly spend over 700 both nights in strip clubs, dont remember it...fell down in front of a police officer at waffle house after strip club dont remember it. woke up in my own vomit 1st night, then started drinking and blacked out after 700 loss in strip club again 2nd night and being completley blacked out stumbling telling my friends that i have a drinking problem and wanted to stay in atlanta hotel to get sober. thought i was done so then i came back home to virginia for new years eve, ended up getting completley hammered at a bar, ordered a bottle of dom perigon for the ball to drop, after that dont remember anything. i cut my hands all up from drinking str8 out the bottle and then dropping it. I AM 42 DAYS SOBER NOW AND HAVE NO DESIRE TO EVER GO BACK TO THE BOTTLE. THAT WAS MY LAST HURRAH!!! OUT!!
Old 02-12-2014, 01:52 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's quite a journey fnlyfree - welcome to SR

D
Old 02-12-2014, 01:54 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I became scared when I started drinking in the morning. I was on leave from work and picked up my first drink each day at around 10 am. I would half fill mugs with wine and hide them around the house. I would hide the mugs behind pot plants and in cupboards. I was either drunk, asleep or violently ill. What compounded everything was the fact I also smoked like a chimney and only ate crap food like pizza and burgers. I felt like utter shite and hated myself
Old 02-12-2014, 01:59 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I would say that every morning I'd say I'm never going to drink again. But that never worked.

For me not drinking must come from my head. I have to feel right in my mind. Make a choice. Make it your choice to quit. You don't have to hit rock bottom. I'm watching someone hit rock bottom now and I don't want to go there with him.

I've drank out of boredom. Trying to fill up that void from being lonely as a child.

But then I got bored with drinking, the endless calories and money spent. What a waste!!!!

Be proud of yourself, stay strong and make a choice to be healthy in your mind and your body.

Smell the flowers! They smell so much better sober!
Old 02-12-2014, 01:59 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Was all very low key, woke up one Saturday afternoon, after an all night session, hangover was pounding, and like so many times before the thoughts of something had to change or I need to cut back, as this can't continue, were going through my mind.

But that Saturday afternoon was different, I think I really changed from NEEDING it to WANTING it, and with that I poured that nights stockpile of alcohol out, texted my mates I wasn't going out that evening, and hunkered down in front of the TV for a Sober Saturday night in.

Waking up the next morning, a Sunday morning fresh felt pretty good, as if it was an accomplishment, and then I decided to keep it going, sought out SR for some support and here I am!!
Old 02-12-2014, 02:02 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
The Long and Winding Road....

i gave the booze many farewells...

it always came back...an unwelcome visitor..disguising itself ar my best friend lover and most trusted confidante...

i nearly paid the ultimate price...

sober since oct 25 2013

v
Old 02-12-2014, 02:04 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I made a simple solid decision to stop drinking
let's keep the plug in the jug
Old 02-12-2014, 02:07 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

For me I was feeling nostalgic and was looking through photo's, came across a load of photo's from the last time I was sober for a long period of time.....it was like looking at a person I'd forgot existed.....all of a sudden i really, really wanted that person back in my life. That was it....had a beer in my hand at the time, put it down and went to bed.

Dee - powerful story by the way, must feel good to know you pulled back from the precipice.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:08 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

For me I was feeling nostalgic and was looking through photo's, came across a load of photo's from the last time I was sober for a long period of time.....it was like looking at a person I'd forgot existed.....all of a sudden i really, really wanted that person back in my life. That was it....had a beer in my hand at the time, put it down and went to bed.

Dee - powerful story by the way, must feel good to know you pulled back from the precipice.