big sister

Old 02-11-2014, 02:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

big sister

Hi all,
im new to all this so please bear with me. My older sister is a drug addict... I hate to put it this way but she will do anything and everything she can get her hands on. She's overdosed multiple times and both of her children have found her on one occasion or another. She since lost custody...I testified in court and helped get their dad custody. She has stolen from her children, took Xmas presents and clothes to sell to get drugs. Up until the last couple years she lived in Indiana, and had kept her addiction not under control but kept it together better than this. She did a better job of lying I guess is a better way to put it. Since she moved back to our hometown she's gotten felony after felony after misdemeanor after felony..she has spiraled out of control to the point of no return im afraid. Now we're waiting for the phone call that she's dead, we dont know if it will be by her own hand or someone else's. She's schizophrenic and bipolar which makes it even worse.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, littlesister. I am so sorry for all the pain and struggles with your sister. It sounds as if you have done a lot to care for your nieces/nephews and others in your family. There will be others here who will come along and offer support, hope, and experience. Read as much as you can, especially the "stickies" at the top of our forum page. They are really helpful.

This one you may already understand, but it still might help:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-can-help.html

As someone dear said to me today, just try to stay in the present moment.

Take care.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. I am so sorry that you are dealing with this. It is so hard watching a loved one drown in their addiction. There is nothing we can do unless they want help. Your story is like so many others. Drug addicts will do anything to get their drug and it becomes necessary or they will get sick. They have to have it. I hope, somehow, she gets to a point where she seeks help. I will say a prayer for your family and your sister tonight. You did the right thing by testifying for her husband to have the kids. Hopefully he is providing a more stable home for them. God Bless you.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I'd like to welcome you too. Your is a very sad situation since she has mental health issues as well.

Sadly, there is not much we can do until they want help and that can take a long time, or saying they want help can be a way to manipulate us to give them money "I need money to clean up before I go to rehab" kind of manipulation (when they have no intention of going to rehab).

I too encourage you to read the sticky posts at the top of this forum, and maybe check for Al-anon, Nar-anon or CoDA meetings in your area. We are here for you always but live support has helped many of us find our balance.

I will keep your sister in my prayers.

Hugs
Old 02-11-2014, 08:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

So sorry about your sister...the mental issues along with the drug issues is a powerful combination to deal.

It sounds like you have done what you can and perhaps that is all that you can do for now.

I am surprised with the arrests that she hasn't been incarcerated in some sort of drug rehab program....
Old 02-12-2014, 08:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you for your words of encouragement and prayers. TEll she's been in and out of jail over the last 6 or 7 months. She's been released for rehab a couple times but as soon as she's out she takes off until she gets arrested again. It's maddening. My mom and I have both had meetings with the D.A and wrote letters to judge's that have presided over her many case's; pleading that they keep her in jail and telling them about her drug problem and that she's sick. Unfortunately we keep getting the same generic answers.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome LS. I am glad you are here, but sad of the situation that brought you. I think the problem is the jails don't know what to do with them either. It is an awful spiral.

Unfortunately, until she is ready to take charge of her own recovery it will not happen. It is a sad sad reality. I encourage you to go to meetings to get support for you and all of your feelings.

Keep posting, you are not alone. Tight Hugs.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My sister too is an addict and both my mum and myself have tried everything possible to "help" her. I am so sorry that there are children involved as it makes it ten times as complicated. I have begged my mum to stop with the money, food and anything that makes it easier the fact is that nothing works. I hope you can work through this and see that this is not your fault or your responsibility and as hopeful4 said they need to take charge of their own recovery. One of the ways I help myself is to pray for my loved ones affected with addiction, I ask God to protect them and every day they are still here I know that he is listening.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
gems

Welcome, this is such a sad story but you've done all you can and unfortunately she needs.to be handled with professionals as the combo of her mental state and addiction is such a complexed problem!! Really hope you can find the support you all need..love and light.xX