Notices

I need your help

Old 02-10-2014, 07:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I need your help

My brother is currently in rehab for xanax, klonopin, valium, oxycodone, and whatever else he could get his hands on. I love my brother very much, but I know I can only support him and be there for him. This is where I need your help.

I do graphic design for a living. I know I can't design something that will free him from his addiction. I understand this is a battle that he has to face with himself, BUT I want to help him the only way I know how...through design. My first thought is making him a journal/calendar with inspiration quotes, that way while he tracks his journey, he has extra support. The question I have for you is, what tools do you wish you had while going through rehab? Please throw out ANY idea you have.

Thank You
Old 02-10-2014, 07:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

hi Whilton, welcome to SR. There are lots of people here who are living with a loved one's addiction. Can I suggest you repost in Friends and Family of Substance Abusers? That will put you in touch with others who can give much better responses than me.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi whilton - welcome

I've never been through rehab myself, but I do know of a few threads that may help you with quotes

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...p-you-get.html
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-us-think.html
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ng-quotes.html
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ositively.html

and we also have a forum dedicated to such things:
Inspirations, Thoughts, Poems, & Sayings - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

best wishes to you and your brother
D
Old 02-10-2014, 07:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Awesome! Thank you for such a quick responses, but I'm really hoping to get advice from people going through an addiction or that have gone through an addiction. Where would be the best place to post for that?
Old 02-10-2014, 07:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Whilton,

I think making a journal for him is a very good idea. My mom brought me a journal when I went to rehab and it meant so much to me. So many thoughts and feelings I had when I was there and having the place to jot them down was wonderful.
Even though I was going through a bunch of stuff with my family at the time I got sober, they always told me they loved me and this I kept in my heart.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

A lot of people who are addicts really feel very low about themselves. A journal is a great idea. What are some things about your brother that make him special to you? Those things can be large or small but I know I never saw what was special about me that made me loved. Because there is always something lovable about us all.Including those at the top of a journal page could be helpful.

A lot of the times when I looked at myself I saw the things you would see when you turned over a rock and not the good stuff.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey there,

I am new here too, and have found inspiration in a kind of weird, not really, place. The signatures of the people on here are really great. Quotes along with their name.

Here are a few...

You are more authentic the more you resemble what you've dreamed of being.
Pedro Almodovar

There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in.
Leonard Cohen

Do not mess with the Dragon, for you are good and crunchy with Ketchup. (something like that)...

XXX What a great thing to do...
Old 02-10-2014, 11:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Wow, thanks everyone! I'm getting some great stuff. I'm really excited that people are so open to share with me!
Old 02-10-2014, 11:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The only thing you can do is to call a meeting with everyone who has influence in his life nad make a pact not to support or communicate with him until he enters treatment. That's the standard protocol for this situation.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My cousin liked a journal, and an easel. they are strict on tools you bring in, depending on what ward you are in.
During sobriety having daily reminders of all the good times you had with your brother. Withdrawal from those specific benzos may make him defensive and a little sensitive. If not great, but if he does just knows that you just being there is all he needs.
We went and spent time telling stories that my cousin wanted to talk about. We did not force anything on him for first few weeks. He asked for art books and drew most of time. Those were some things that he loved as an artist while he was in rehab. Good luck to your brother.