Notices

Worried about my memory

Old 02-10-2014, 12:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Worried about my memory

I am worrying about my memory. I don't seem to remember certain things from one day to the next. For example, I watched a tv show last night and while I do remember watching it, I can't recall what happened in the show. Is this odd? Does the brain recover from the trauma of my drinking life? I am getting pretty concerned about this. I never ever had a blackout but now (when I am not drinking) I can't remember things.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Not sure how old you are, but i'm in my 40's and I definitely have moments like that...can't come up with the right word, forgetting something you just planned on doing, etc. I would imagine my 20 years of drinking didn't help this at all, and probably when I was drunk ( which used to be most of the time ) I didn't notice it anyway.

If you have concerns see a doc of course, but for me it does seem to have gotten better somewhat over more sober time.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi 2b I sometimes cannot remember things I've done, it's almost like I'm in a slight trance, my brain goes elsewhere but not sure where.

I'm just interpreting it as part of my recovery but not certain.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Sometimes mine is really good, other times not so good. I put it down to the stress of a cluttered mind or age x
Old 02-10-2014, 12:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am 48. Maybe part of it is just age. At least I'd like to hope so! Thanks all, once again, it is nice to know I am not alone.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I write myself a lot of notes.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Oh, I have a terrible memory. I am in my late 40s too. I dont think its drinking related though as I know of a few folks who are terribly absent minded and they are normal drinkers.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm not sure it's caused by the drinking.. Been like that for years. Get worst every year past 55. :-)

Seriously, with me, it's just not really paying attention. Or other things on my mind.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by 2bhappier View Post
For example, I watched a tv show last night and while I do remember watching it, I can't recall what happened in the show. Is this odd?
This says more about the quality of TV than what it says about your memory. Relax.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I write myself a lot of notes.
So do I lol x
Old 02-10-2014, 01:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The difficulty is when you forget that you wrote yourself a note or where the note is... I turn 40 this year and have really struggled with my memory for the past few years... at least compared to my memory 10 years ago when it was really good and 20 years ago when it was excellent! Ah, ageing, what a process
Old 02-10-2014, 03:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Memory problems and trouble concentrating can be common in early recovery. Take good care of yourself and give yourself time to heal before you start worrying.
Old 02-10-2014, 03:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

My memory is pretty well back now to what is was, factoring in age and other factors 2b...it generally gets better

D
Old 02-10-2014, 03:28 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

My memory is shocking, I still feel like I am thinking through a fog and the moment I hear or learn something new something else falls out...
I hope to get the ability to recall things easily back or even to pay attention long enough to follow the conversation through to the end. I used to have a great memory.
The other day a friend was recalling a year or so ago when I single handed captured a pelican for the purpose of removing fishing line and hook wrapped around its beak.. I am saying are you sure it was me,? huh. I am a city person, you would think I would remember that.... No, it's you, got the pics!!!..Oh, OK so how did it all turn out....it was like hearing a story for the first time.
Old 02-10-2014, 03:58 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I also had memory problems in the early days of recovery. I was in a fog - very lethargic. It all got better though. It takes a while to recover from all that we've done to our bodies.