Did Someone Say Compassion? (THAT word again!)

Old 02-10-2014, 11:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Did Someone Say Compassion? (THAT word again!)

Just when I was all set to take a break from recovery this weekend, I sank down into my spa on Saturday morning with a copy of the Yoga Journal from the holidays that I hadn't read yet. I like to randomly pop through the magazine before going back & officially reading it.

The first article I open to: "Reach Out - How to develop compassion..."

Yoga Wisdom | Cultivate Compassion

You gotta be kiddin' me....

While this is written from a non-addiction standpoint, I still found it interesting that they talk about how developing self-compassion is a cornerstone that healthy compassion toward others is built upon. (I had to ignore the parts about dissolving boundaries when it comes to the topic of addiction.) Since we Codies struggle so hard with putting our needs first, it makes sense to me that we would also tend to put compassion toward ourselves on the backburner.

I also liked the way they talked about minimizing "idiot compassion" - the kind we all know as enabling negative behaviors.

Just thought I'd share even though there have been so many other threads about this topic lately.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Location: The planet Earth, or at least that's what I've been told.
I agree FireSprite - giving to the self, even something as basic as compassion can be hard to learn at first. It took me years and years to figure this out, and I think I'm still incorporating it into my life.