Notices

25 and determined to go sober

Old 02-10-2014, 07:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

25 and determined to go sober

Hello,

I am 25 and have decided to quit drinking after recent binge drinking events. I have always thought of being a social drinker in that I only drank once or twice a week. But recently the amount I drank was getting more and I had not the control to only have a few drinks. I had many close calls involving driving. I have now decided to quit. This is day 2. Just find this website and chat room very helpful to talk about it and read other people stories and get advice.

Thanks.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

Glad you found us!
Old 02-10-2014, 08:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!
Old 02-10-2014, 08:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome. There is good info here so I suggest KEEP COMING.

BE WELL
Old 02-10-2014, 08:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jeac1729 View Post
Hello,

I am 25 and have decided to quit drinking after recent binge drinking events. I have always thought of being a social drinker in that I only drank once or twice a week. But recently the amount I drank was getting more and I had not the control to only have a few drinks. I had many close calls involving driving. I have now decided to quit. This is day 2. Just find this website and chat room very helpful to talk about it and read other people stories and get advice.

Thanks.
I'm 34 now, and only wish I had quit when I was 25. Good luck! And you're ont alone - these forms can be very helpful for sure. Keep signing in and posting! Welcome!
Old 02-10-2014, 09:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you for the warm welcome. I have found everyone very helpful and supportive with this. I will be coming back I need this social interaction and discussion to keep my mind focused and motivated.

Currently looking into some new hobbies to help keep my self occupied and my mind clear. Currently looking into yoga and meditation but will keep looking in to other stuff as well.

Thanks again.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm glad you found us and joined the family. You'll find a lot of support and useful info here.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I plan to go to a meeting from SmartRecovery either today or tomorrow.

But generally I am ready to stop drinking all together.

My biggest problem now is that my mind has a tendency to run wild and I over think and panic due to things I think which might not be true in my personal relationships. And drinking now I realize was been done to stop that thinking.

So I am looking for something to help me calm my nerves and mind. Maybe looking into counseling through medical plan to see if talking with a professional can help.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Welocme Jeac xxxxx
Old 02-10-2014, 12:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Jeac, welcome to SR
Old 02-10-2014, 02:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Jeac1729
sounds like you have the makings of a good plan there - there's lots of support here too

D
Old 02-10-2014, 04:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Jeac. We're glad to be part of your recovery.

I was around your age when my drinking increased greatly. Instead of acknowledging the warning signs - I just kept going. The results were disastrous. You won't have to go through the terrible times I did. You've made a great decision - and you can do this.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:41 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone. I am happy I made the decision now before it got very worst. It was slowly getting worst more blackout incidents have occurred so before it gets worst I am stopping now.

Now working on this and other personal stuff.

Thanks for the support. It helps me work on having a positive mental attitude.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:47 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Hi Jeac,

The challenge you will face is that if you get your drinking under control, you will think you can control your drinking.

I use SoberRecovery and AA to remind myself that I can never drink again.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:17 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks I am ready to go sober. I do feel like I can get it under control. But I have looked into meetings if I can't do it by myself. Also counseling and other stuff available through my health plan at work. So I have laid out the options for now this forum and chat rooms are helping discuss it and make sure I accept my decision all around.

Also just looking for new hobbies and routines to occupy my mind and time.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:24 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I wish I had, had your insight at 25 - kudos to ya
Old 02-11-2014, 08:31 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jeac1729 View Post
Thanks I am ready to go sober. I do feel like I can get it under control. But I have looked into meetings if I can't do it by myself. Also counseling and other stuff available through my health plan at work. So I have laid out the options for now this forum and chat rooms are helping discuss it and make sure I accept my decision all around.

Also just looking for new hobbies and routines to occupy my mind and time.
Ebay and animal rescue /rehoming - I can highly recommend - (doesn't work if you don't love animas though) - In my experience - nothing worked and then one day I 'googled' that I had a pain under my left ribs - thought I was having a heart attack it was that bad and they kept coming up with this website.
I joined (reluctantly) feeling like I was invading the space of 'serious drinkers' and all that - and all I can remember of that first day ( I was pissed) was saying ' thank you' to someone called 'Dee' and then someone else telling me ' Dee is a Mod' - other than that I have NO clue of that day.
One thing I can say is - that day changed my life - I had 'experimented' with a UK site - to no avail.
Anyway - regarding hobbies and routines (and sorry for the offload) well I found going into charity shops and buying cheap jeans etc and selling them on ebay was good and also I got back into guitar (which I dusted this morning) and also think back to BEFORE - when you were a kid in school and booze just wasn't in the equation - how did you deal with stress then?
Got a rescue kitten biting me right now - so gonna stop.

Stay with us Xx
Old 02-11-2014, 08:38 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks for the advice it is very helpful.

Before for stress I would ready books, poetry, listen to music, play videogames, watch tv and movies but lately this doesn't hold my attention.

Running still helps but due to running a lot and not stretching I have stiff muscles and stopping for a bit for fear of hurting myself. I am looking into yoga now also made a list of things I want to check out. Mediation, learning to swim, book club, poetry reading and workshops, and learning to dance. Just taking it one thing at a time for now.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:39 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome. I sometimes think, what would life have been like if I had quit at 25? Now my life is pretty good but I would have a lot fewer regrets, be much healthier, and probably used that time to more positively grow as a person. Regrets are useless except that you learn (the hard way) from them so I can only live for today, but as they say in the movie A Bronx Tale, nothing worse than wasted talent. Good to have you here!
Old 02-11-2014, 08:44 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thank you Tiptree. I am glad I have some regrets due to drinking but nothing to major. I accept them and learn from them and now focus on the now and the future.
Working on me like you said right now. And keeping positive.