Notices

Reading The Big Book

Old 02-10-2014, 06:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Reading The Big Book

So for years, because I have not particularly described myself as anything close to "religious", I have viewed AA as something "not for me". I have read many books on Rational Recovery, and I love Jack Trimpey's AVRT technique, which I have used in the past with success.

Because having and maintaining an open mind is an essential component to recovery in my eyes, I've decided to read the Big Book to see what it's all about. I have been to some AA meetings in the past, but I confess I have not really gotten anything out of it. I live in a small section, so if I were to go to an in-person meeting, I would surely know somebody and due to the nature of my employment, this would be harmful. I did (virtually) attend a few online meetings, and they were pretty interesting, but I feel that these SR forums provide the same benefits as a meeting (for me, anyway), in that we surround ourselves with people of like mind and issues, in a community that we will not be judged and where we are truly understood.

I'm about 10% finished the Big Book (or so my Kindle tells me), but I did get past the bit about Agnostics and Atheists. It seems to me, at this very early stage of reading, that AA isn't really concerned necessarily about any specific religion, except where it points out that it is essential you believe in SOME sort of higher power, because of our inability to "regain sanity" on our own. This is interesting to me.

At any rate, I have always been one of those people who said "AA was not for me". And it still may be true, but I think it's good to read the Big Book regardless, because I am truly identifying with much of what's talked about. There were many times where I do feel powerless. There were many times where I knew it was irrational to be considering drinking. It is truly insanity. I know what the end result will be if I were to drink.

Anyway, something to think about!
Old 02-10-2014, 07:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am an agnostic but I get a lot out of AA. I've never felt like any sort of religion has been pushed on me at all at AA meetings. Lately I've been wondering why I do like AA so much. I think I get a lot out of it for the same reason I get a lot out of SR. I have a sense of a community in both places. I tend to isolate a lot and I think both SR and AA bring me out of that isolation. I do want to read more about AVRT and I've heard of other methods to try and I feel like I should take every opportunity to find ways to help me with sobriety.

I do like reading the Big Book. I like the promises. I want those promises.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah I think the Big Book is a good book. I really enjoy the AVRT and I feel that has helped me with recovery, which I am thankful for for sure, but AA/Big Book has some interesting info for sure.