Notices

Ex Fiancé - Recovering Alcoholic and on Depatoke

Old 02-09-2014, 09:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ex Fiancé - Recovering Alcoholic and on Depatoke

Hello,

My ex fiancé and father of my child. Is currently on Depatoke for his moods. I think he has been sober 4 months now but this past month he has been pushing me away. He was in a 6 month program with Kaiser but stop going after 3 months. Right now he tells me that he never loved me and claims he was going through the motions with me. Most likely in a week or so he will want to work on things again. At this point I have been keeping my distance from him and keeping my conversations with him only about our son. Is his behavior common in early sobriety?? Should I also be concern about the medication he is on (Depatoke 3 x 250mg twice a day )??
Old 02-09-2014, 09:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi christina

I'm sorry things are still problematic.

I've read many threads like this, but I can't really say how common it is. I wasn't in a relationship when I got into recovery.

I have no experience with that med either, but I'm glad you're thinking of yourself and your son....I don't see how anyone can depend on someone whose moods and attitudes aren't dependable?

D
Old 02-09-2014, 09:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sadly that is common in recovery. He probably has no idea who he is sober, doesn't even know which way is up. The first few months of sobriety are very disorienting to a career drunk. Ultimately it may be that you hardly know him, or who he will wind up being.

Give him space as much as you can but protect yourself. This is a strange time for him.
Old 02-10-2014, 02:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I take Depakote too but never had any problems with it.

I'd give him his space to figure out who he is sober. In the meantime, take good care of yourself and your child.
Old 02-10-2014, 04:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone! I'm no longer get emotional when he says hurtful things to me. Usually the next day, I let him know it wasn't right what he said to me but by then he has nothing to say. Some days he looks happy and others he looks lost and hasn't slept. The last 4 months have definitely been a roller coaster.