Notices

New to this...

Old 02-09-2014, 03:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to this...

I have been battling with alcoholism for the past 15+ years. I've tried to quit many times, usually going for months without booze. I am a binge drinker so my pattern is no alcohol for long periods of time followed by 1 or 2 days of heavy drinking. Almost always to blackout. I am tired of this cycle and am looking for help with something I fully accept I cannot quit myself. Honestly I am a little scared.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to SR seeks. Glad you found us - this is an amazing community.

I was scared too - but I felt so much better when I came here. I wasn't alone anymore with the struggle. People actually understood me - and I got some great advice. I wasn't a binger by the time I found SR - I had graduated to 24/7 drinking over the years. Being part of SR I was able to find the courage to change my life. I hope it helps you too.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome to the posting side of things seeks
Most of us are scared in the beginning I think - but you'll find a lot of support here

what kinds of things have you tried so far to help you stop drinking?
D
Old 02-09-2014, 03:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Blackouts suck , as you have no information to validate or refute any actions you might have made!
Old 02-09-2014, 03:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Welcome seeks. I was always, changing patterns, bingeing etc until I go sick of it xxxx
Old 02-09-2014, 04:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've gone to AA a handful of times, never long enough to develop any connections or make it a go to for when I feel like drinking. Other than that I would just stay away from people and situations that involved drinking. The isolation really gets to me but I haven't developed the tools to navigate people and places that trigger me to drink. Sometimes the trigger is boredom. I've turned to intense exercise as a way to keep myself busy and accountable but I can only workout so much. I appreciate the feedback. It seems like my most vulnerable times are when I'm feeling great and convince myself this time will be different. Any tips on letting friends and family know that I am an alcoholic and need support to not drink?
Old 02-09-2014, 04:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I just told people straight out what I was - but everyone mostly knew that.

Still not many people understood 'alcoholism' so people would still offer me drinks.

Most of my friends by that stage were alcoholics too - they were no help and I ended up drifting away from them.

I think for *real* support places like this, and real life things like AA or another recovery group, are the way to go seeks

D
Old 02-09-2014, 05:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm glad you're reaching out to get sober. We offer a lot of support here.