Notices

So far, so good.

Old 02-08-2014, 12:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So far, so good.

Hi all,

I'm here because I'm quitting drinking in order to deal with my son and his alcoholism. The physical damage my 32 year old boy has done to himself is catastrophic and likely terminal (tests pending). I need to have a clear head to help him and the rest of the family with the impending future and I cant do that if I'm being a hypocrite.

Since my divorce in 2009, I've been going out roughly twice a week and binge drinking, usually with my son and his band mates. It started as a fun bit of bonding time together but over the past two years, I've been going out less and he's in the bar every single night, beginning his evening with no less than 3 double shots of whiskey in an hour and carrying on from there. He's a frail person to begin with and this constant assault of alcohol is tearing him apart right before my eyes. Of course he thinks he's got it under control...

Trying to come to terms with my son's situation has caused me to drink more often because I'm at wits end and now it's become a vicious cycle that must be stopped. My last bout with booze was 8 days ago and it was a wicked one. When I got up the next morning, I learned that one of the people that my son and I drink with, was shot to death. I dealt with that news in a haze of hangover and the realization that my boy could have been in his place. So here I am, doing the best to keep myself straight and maybe gain some insight on how to save my son as well.

Thanks for listening.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Glad you came here to talk. You will find lots of support and many people that can relate or at least understand your situation. Sounds like it is hard to know where to begin with this. Especially since you and your son bonded in the beginning with drinking. Sorry things are not so great on health side for him. Sounds like you are good mom that wants to help your son. And you are willing to stop drinking yourself to save your son. Hope to hear from you soon.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi. that is sad for you. You have come to the right place. I hope things begin to get better.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Welcome SofiaMichelle. Lots of Mom's here.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Welcome Sofia Michelle xxx
Old 02-08-2014, 02:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome, SofiaMichelle!
Old 02-08-2014, 02:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really sorry for your situation sofia michelle but I know you'll find support here

D
Old 02-08-2014, 03:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope the support here helps you stop drinking for good. As far as your son, we have a forum for friends and family of alcoholics that you may be interested in.
Old 02-08-2014, 03:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcoming your family to ours.

There are no limits to a mama's love. Proud of you, Sophia.
Old 02-08-2014, 03:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Sofia. I'm so glad you've made this big decision. I hope it helps to be here with us.