Notices

Just Checking in.....

Old 02-08-2014, 08:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just Checking in.....

Hello all,

I haven't been here for a solid week so I thought it time I check back in and say hello.

Today is day 10 for me, Wow!!! I started a new job this past Monday and it is a bit of a commute to and from (48 miles round trip). This has left me a bit tired all week as I am adjusting to the new routine, which I suppose has been a good thing. I have been going to bed by nine pm every night so I haven't really had the time or energy to struggle too much.

Right when I get home from work has been the most difficult, wanting to stop and buy beer on the way home and just get home, relax and drink a few lol.... but I have managed not to do it. I keep reminding myself that the voice in my head telling me I can just have a couple, is truly the enemy. IT is missing the gratification of the buzz and so far I have been able to talk myself right out of it.

I will say that this time around after 10 days in, still feels like it is going to be the win for me. I am just trying to not look too far down the road because that is when it begins to feel just a bit overwhelming. With summer coming and all the fun activities I am so used to right around the corner, I am scared of how I will handle it so I try not to think about it just yet.

As I said in my last post, I am trying not to count days as for me this just makes me feel like there is still somehow some decision or action yet to be taken. I am only mentioning it here as a point of reference.

Anyway I am running on too long but wanted to share that I am still sober and still here. Both feet firmly planted albeit sometimes painfully so.

BTW: I read a statistic this week that said as much as 35% of the US population now does not drink alcohol. For me this was somewhat comforting to know that there are so many people that are making the choice for a sober life. This includes folks that don't have a problem with alcohol. They just choose not to drink. For some weird reason it made me feel less of an outsider to society. Anyway just my thoughts....

Thanks for letting me get a weeks worth of thoughts out there. I am cautiously optimistic for my future now, and have taken so much inspiration from so many of you here so thank you all very much!!!
Old 02-08-2014, 08:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
jkb

Yay for you. Sounds like you are using lots of Rational Recovery. RR got me and has kept me sober. BTW, I love Clearwater. I lived in an area quite close to that for over 4 years. Now I live in the snowy a** mountains. Anyway, I am very happy for you and isn't it great not to be in the single digits anymore????
Jess
Old 02-08-2014, 08:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

thanks Jess,

YES, I must admit I was thinking the same thing lol. Double digits, whoo hoo!!!

Ahhhh Clearwater is a beautiful place indeed, I do love it and I am looking forward to seeing beyond the beach bars arghhh!!

Sherri
Old 02-08-2014, 09:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good for you! I agree if I start thinking too far ahead I get overwhelmed so it's one day at a time for me. What I find helpful for the ride home from work is listening to recovery CD's and eating an orange. Maybe try eating or drinking something else will help. Usually that time of day I am hungry anyway and when I'm hungry I more apt to get cravings
You are doing awesome and congrats on the new job!
Old 02-08-2014, 10:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats and thanks for sharing!
Old 02-08-2014, 11:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Awesome on 10 days Wilderness!!!!
Old 02-08-2014, 12:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome and congrats on 10 days. Yea!
Old 02-08-2014, 12:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Congrats on 10 days, that's wonderful xxxx
Old 02-08-2014, 01:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you all...
Old 02-08-2014, 02:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on your progress WV

D
Old 02-08-2014, 02:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Wilderness, way to go on 10 days. Keep taking it day by day. You'll be fine for the summer and may actually find you're able to do more things that you always wanted to rather than just wasting your time drinking. Lots of fun stuff to do sober.
Old 02-08-2014, 02:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Wilderness, congratulations on 10 days and your new job, x.

If you look too far it can overwhelm us, remember the baby steps, 1 at a time.

Also, there are some super cold cordial drinks out there, taste fantastic and a great option from alcohol.