Notices

First post on the site!

Old 02-06-2014, 05:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile First post on the site!

Hi guys, my name is Abreana and I'm an alcoholic. This is my first time on this site! I've been sober for a little over a month (one day at a time, of course). I'm a college student from Colorado, I love outdoorsy/active things, and my favorite snack is Goldfish crackers. I try to make at least one F2F AA meeting a week, but sometimes it's just hard to get down there... so I'm looking for other ways to stay connected with the recovering alcoholic community.

Thank you for listening.

Old 02-06-2014, 05:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Welcome to SR! Glad you are here. This is a great place to get support. Congrats on 30+ days! Keep moving forward. We do recover.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Abreana. It's great you found us - this place saved me & continues to keep me on track.

Congratulations on your month sober - that's something to be thankful for. I was way older when I finally got free. Good that you saw what alcohol was doing to your life - you don't need it.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Welcome Abreana xxx
Old 02-07-2014, 02:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR abreana

D
Old 02-07-2014, 03:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome. There is another young lady from Denver that just joined on this thread:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post4454725
Old 02-07-2014, 03:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome Abreana! This is a great place for support! Also congratulations on one month! That is awesome!!!
Old 02-07-2014, 05:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yeah!!!glad you joined. You will love it.Congrats on a little over a month. I myself am right there with you.
Colorado is so beautiful. I guess it still makes me anonymous to tell you that I went on National Student Exchange for a semester.
You will find a lot of support, ears to listen and voices to give there words of encouragement. I made it through first 30 days so easy because of SR. Days I thought I was going to give in, but these people helped me remind myself that I can find the strength if I want, and that they have all failed or slipped at least once, but it got them no where. When I hear your stories it helps me see that it is not as hard as I think to catch myself before falling.
Glad you are here and hope to chat with you soon.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm new here too. First post. I'm thankful I found this site. I haven't made it more than 8 days and I go right back to drinking again. I feel like I'm on a roller coaster. My husband recently started a new position that leaves me alone with my 3 year old daughter on an acreage in a new town. I have been trying to get out more and I have met some awesome friends here but this is small town and I haven't really shared my issues with anyone. I am a Social Worker to boot which makes me even more anxious about sharing. I can't figure out why I keep ending up at the store for more wine even after a good day. Any suggestions?
Old 02-07-2014, 06:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome. I also live in CO but in a pretty remote area. Glad to have you here.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Jus
A Little Wingy

Hi Abreana, welcome to SR.

Big congrats!! Awesome job on your sober time.

All the best with your journey.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:21 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome Abreana, glad you're here!
Old 02-07-2014, 08:58 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hey tryingitsober, I'm glad you found SR and are reaching out! If I could suggest maybe looking through some of these online AA meetings/support groups/etc. you might find one that pops out to you. (Google "Online Intergroup of Alcoholics Anonymous" and it's the first result that pops up - check out the Online Meeting Directory). I'm part of AAE, "Above All Else." It's a great group of just 40 or so happy sober drunks who share our struggles and hopes with each other. You might find a group that works for you! Are there any alcoholism support groups in your new town? Good for you for getting out and meeting new people! Keeping busy has definitely been an important part of recovery for me.

Also.... Remember to breathe. To "pause" throughout the day if something makes you stressed, anxious, worried, etc. and remind yourself things will be okay. To pray the serenity prayer and ask for help in accepting the things you cannot change. And, of course, to always reach out when you need help!! There is nothing wrong in calling a trusted friend (or posting on this site, for that matter) when you feel the urge to take a drink. Sobriety isn't easy, but at least we aren't alone!
Old 02-07-2014, 10:00 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome keepitsimple and tryingitsober. I'm glad you found us and joined the family. You'll find a lot of support here.