Notices

First time trying to quit.

Old 02-06-2014, 04:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First time trying to quit.

Hello everybody. I found this site on google, and it seems like a good place for me to start. I'm about to try to stop drinking for the first time, and I'm absolutely terrified of how it will go and how bad I'll feel about myself if I fail. That's probably the reason why I haven't given it an honest go before.

I have a very unhealthy relationship to alcohol and is in a position where I can get black-out drunk as often as I want. And that is largely what I've done the last few years. The situation and amounts doesn't really matter, the end result is that it's ruining me.

I have signed up for the 24 hour sobriety group. I don't know how it will go, I expect to hold out at least a few days before I start arguing with myself and try to find a way to justify getting drunk.

But it's a comforting thought that I have to report once every 24 hours. It's more of a reason not to drink than I had Wednesday. Thursday spent being hung over. It's 1 am Friday over here and after I call it a night and wake up it's day 1.

Wish me luck.
Old 02-06-2014, 04:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Support really helps Jansen - it was a game changer for me

glad you found us

D
Old 02-06-2014, 04:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Keep it simple and do not project...one day at a time. If you are struggling during the day break it down into hours or even minutes. I am 6 months sober now and from my experience whatever you do do not isolate yourself. The first 3 months were strange because we humans are creatures of habit. Once you start doing other things, cravings become less, days become weeks and weeks become months. Might be a good idea to to get a check with your doctor just to be on safe side. Loads of water, food and sleep do no harm at all.
Old 02-06-2014, 04:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good luck!!!
Old 02-06-2014, 04:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Jansen! Glad to see a kindred spirit. I too joined this forum following a Google search on a desperate night before I was going to start the next day trying to stay sober. I was terrified as well. The people here are encouraging, and completely supportive. I can honestly say the every sober day I have had since January 1st was largely in thanks to hanging onto to this support circle for dear life, for hours at a time when necessary. There is always someone here who "get's" your particular journey.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome. I agree with the advice to take it slow, one day at a time as they say. Good to have you.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome Jansen! Good luck!
Old 02-06-2014, 05:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Good idea to check in here at least once a day to reverify your intent to stop drinking. The beginning can be rough so be prepared to feel crappy for a few days. But stay sober and it will get better.