Notices

How to avoid ITCHINESS in Alcohol Withdrawal - Avoid LACTOSE

Old 02-06-2014, 05:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How to avoid ITCHINESS in Alcohol Withdrawal - Avoid LACTOSE

Think I might have worked out the itching is related to Milk. I may have become lactose intolerant from alcoholism or rather lactose intolerance IS a symptom of Alcoholic Hepatitis.
Only 6 days dry and a record of ten days. Itchiness has been common symptom most times I have tried drying out in the last 2-3 years.
Milk is typically something I dont drink when bingeing because a beer doesnt taste good after milk and a milk doesnt taste good after beer.
Think I might have solved the Itching mystery of alcohol withdrawal so many complain of.
It is temporary lactose intolerance.

Intestinal-transit and lactose intolerance in chronic alcoholics.
Intestinal-transit and lactose intolerance in... [Am J Clin Nutr. 1986] - PubMed - NCBI
And here look, this explains why most reports from others who had experienced this, said, "Dont worry, the itchiness will disappear in about 5-10 days".
And this also explains why sometimes I didn't have itchiness. I didn't realise it but it was because I didn't drink milk or lactose-containing foods those times.

So, how to avoid itchiness during detox? Avoid lactose.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

i think it's your burnt out nerve endings..in fact i'm pretty sure of that

Lactose intolerance is a whole other thing
Old 02-06-2014, 06:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Interesting. I don't drink milk whether I'm boozing or not, but I do love me some cheese. Never had any itchiness, though.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by caboblanco View Post
i think it's your burnt out nerve endings..in fact i'm pretty sure of that

Lactose intolerance is a whole other thing

Well that was the other theory being thrown around in all the places I could find on the topic.

Hmmm. I guess I am wrong. Just that I drank half a liter milk and itching came back after having been free of it for two days.

I found article about Alcoholic Hepatitis -
"Generalised pruritus

Generalised skin itching (pruritus) may occur due to the build up of poorly metabolised substances that stimulate nerve endings in the skin. These substances may include bile salts, histamine, corticosteroids and opioids."

Ok, so itchiness means you have alcoholic hepatitis.
Poor metabolism of the liver, but the itching is not 24/7.
So there MUST be things I put in my digestive system that freak the liver out more than otherwise and respond with getting sysmptoms of itchiness.
I am trying to work out what those things are.

PS: Only solution to Alcoholic Hepatitis is cessation of alcohol .
Old 02-06-2014, 07:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GreenBottles View Post
Well that was the other theory being thrown around in all the places I could find on the topic.

Hmmm. I guess I am wrong. Just that I drank half a liter milk and itching came back after having been free of it for two days.

I found article about Alcoholic Hepatitis -
"Generalised pruritus

Generalised skin itching (pruritus) may occur due to the build up of poorly metabolised substances that stimulate nerve endings in the skin. These substances may include bile salts, histamine, corticosteroids and opioids."

Ok, so itchiness means you have alcoholic hepatitis.
Poor metabolism of the liver, but the itching is not 24/7.
So there MUST be things I put in my digestive system that freak the liver out more than otherwise and respond with getting sysmptoms of itchiness.
I am trying to work out what those things are.

PS: Only solution to Alcoholic Hepatitis is cessation of alcohol .
I would hope that's not the case because that would mean I have alcoholic hepatits..i relapsed a couple times and had itching. my liver scan showed i had a fatty liver. I believe I know of people who have had this that don't have liver problems..so maybe it's just a withdrawal symptom and not liver disease?
Old 02-06-2014, 07:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Another way to avoid itchiness during withdrawal is to avoid withdrawal by not drinking ;-)
Old 02-06-2014, 07:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have had itching periods and they usually occur after cessation of alcohol.My doctor tells me if you have a liver disease,then it is not the only symptom!İt must be accompanied with other symptoms.When you have a liver disease,you do not only get itching(usually in tihs case itching can be severe) but other symptoms too.İf you have alcoholic hepatitis,itching is not the only symptom.I think biluribin level is important.Either something in the alcohol or some other thing makes you itchy.For instance some people get itchy after drinking wine.İtching alone does not mean too much!
Old 02-06-2014, 07:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cengiz View Post
I have had itching periods and they usually occur after cessation of alcohol.My doctor tells me if you have a liver disease,then it is not the only symptom!İt must be accompanied with other symptoms.When you have a liver disease,you do not only get itching(usually in tihs case itching can be severe) but other symptoms too.İf you have alcoholic hepatitis,itching is not the only symptom.I think biluribin level is important.Either something in the alcohol or some other thing makes you itchy.For instance some people get itchy after drinking wine.İtching alone does not mean too much!
thanks man..you just gave me a sigh of some relief
Old 02-06-2014, 07:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

please instead of trying to figure out what symptoms of withdrawl are, look at the symptoms that make you drink in the first place.

No drink, no withdrawl, no itching
Old 02-06-2014, 07:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by whiskeyman View Post
please instead of trying to figure out what symptoms of withdrawl are, look at the symptoms that make you drink in the first place.

with all do respect whiskey there are some people that are going through withdrawal or still drinking and they are welcome on this forum too
Old 02-06-2014, 08:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by caboblanco View Post
thanks man..you just gave me a sigh of some relief
Why?

İf you are a drinker and you'' suspect''you have a bad liver,itching alone does not mean too much.İtching can be caused by many things.Even anxiety can cause it.Best thing is to have some blood liver tests,mainly biluribin or better have a liver scan.I did all that and there was nothing wrong but I still do get this itching.İf you do not have a liver disease,then it might be anxiety or allergy!
Old 02-06-2014, 08:00 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

absolutely, i understand.

I didnt mean any harm. I just remember spending alot of time trying to figure out everything but i didnt spend any time trying to figure out why or what type of circumstance made me pick up that first drink that got me going onto a spree.

I didnt mean to be harsh, if taken that way.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:05 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I didnt mean any harm. I just remember spending alot of time trying to figure out everything but i didnt spend any time trying to figure out why or what type of circumstance made me pick up that first drink that got me going onto a spree.

no not at all..im sober for a while...just some people are still hurting or active have certain questions
Old 02-06-2014, 08:08 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Well Green Bottles make me itch .I guess your poison was Whiskey?
Old 02-06-2014, 08:12 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

There are alot of circumstances that would make me pick up a beer, but its in that actual very moment I forgot I cant have just one beer. I cant have one beer. I mean, I can BUT I will feel sluggish and irratable after it.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:16 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Ok, then maybe Alcoholic Hepatitis causes you to be ALLERGIC to some things.

I was never allergic to ANYTHING.

The itchiness is not 24/7. It comes in waves that last about 1-2 hours then gone for 1-2 hours then come back...
And yesterday my 5th day without drinking I had no itchiness all day then drank bottle of milk and there it hit me for next 2 hours about an hour after the milk.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:18 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Whiskeyman,

Not drinking at all is of course the best choice but whether it is fortunately or unfortunately, it is part of life as long as you do not drink heavily everyday.İn such a case ,one should stop for good.I started drinking 30 years ago( I am 58 now) but I was never a daily heavy drinker;only twice a week ,mainly 4-5 glasses of whiskey or ouzo.I always gave up drinking at least few months of a year and now drinking only once every 10-15 days a month.İt all depends on the person!Everybody must make their own decision.