Notices

Bikram Yoga

Old 02-05-2014, 03:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Bikram Yoga

Anyone tried Bikram Yoga (Hot Yoga)? I've heard a lot of great things about it, but have never tried it. Have never done yoga, in fact. I'm in pretty good shape, but honestly, I'm scared to try it. Not scared, like I will have a heart attack or something, but scared like of trying new things. I don't want to be noticed in the class. I think it would be a good thing to go and try, especially since I have that fear.

Any thoughts?
Old 02-05-2014, 03:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Haven't done Hot Yoga, but would love to try it. Especially since I love to sweat!! I have done regular yoga on and off over the past few years and its pretty amazing!. Did some meditation as well. When I took classes, I was the only male in the class. But my teacher was great and there is no reason to be scared. Just go to a beginner's class and you will be fine! The poses are generally easy, and make you feel real good!! The focus on breathing which helps you relax. Any of the tougher poses you just do the best you can. You won't stick out. Most people are kind of "spazzy" on the tougher poses and are just doing there own thing. You shouldn't have to worry about sticking out. Good luck and I'm curious how you like it if you do the Bikram.
Old 02-05-2014, 04:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have tried yoga in class at a gym & for me I was very self-conscious & uncomfortable. Probably because I really didn't know any of the poses and am extremely inflexible. I couldn't help but compare myself to others.

I really wanted to do it though because I was sick of the same old cardio/weight routine I have been doing forever. I knew yoga could help me with flexibility, especially now that I am getting older (50), and also be a strength workout at the same time. I had an empty room in the basement I set up to workout in & now do yoga in wonderful privacy. There are lots of online classes & apps you can access that are just as good if not better than any class I have been to. If you decide to try it at home check out Free Online Yoga & an app I love is Yoga Studio. Lots of beginner resources with both. All you need is a yoga mat and a laptop or ipad. I have not had experience with hot yoga but have heard good things about it.

I love yoga - after a yoga workout I feel so calm and peaceful it reminds me of the feeling I have after a massage. Plus it is a great workout!
Old 02-05-2014, 04:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Give it a try!! Half of life is just showing up, because you know what will happen if you don't....nothing!

I've been going to Bikram on and off for about 4 years now, and it took me a long time to learn to love it. I think that initially people are way over intimadated by Bikram, but it is something that all sorts of people can participate in. When you walk in the door you will see, old, young, fat, thin, in shape, out of shape, all sorts of different people. It is HARD, but it is rewarding Drink lots of water the day before you go, don't eat too much before class, wear something comfortable, and bring a yoga mat with a towel to lay over the top. Listen to the instructor carefully, and just do what you can. It's ok to sit and rest. You can do it, you're incredibly stronger than you think you are! Good luck and let us know how it goes
Old 02-05-2014, 05:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I did Bikram for about 6 months at one point. I loved the hot room and the sweat. I loved how I felt after, very, very relaxed. If you like sweating, you'll dig it. The reason I stopped was that Bikram (at least where I was going) is the same routine each time and I got kinda bored with it. If it were a bit different each time, I might still be going, well, actually it's kinda expensive, so I'm not sure if I'd still be going.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I love yoga, but hot yoga isn't for me......I already have hot flashes - LOL !
Old 02-05-2014, 07:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for all the responses. I am going to give it a try. If for no other reason than to switch things up and show myself that it is ok and I can try new things. I usually beat myself up and talk myself out of doing something and then . . . well, we know where that road leads. Not this time. I will let you all know how it goes.

Sounds like I will enjoy it, since I really do like to sweat. I should be ok, I've been running 35 - 40 miles per week after building up for a couple of weeks after my last binge. Yes, I am an "all or nothing person." Either I don't drink at all or I'm blackout drunk. If I run, I run . . . FAR! I am working to be more balanced though.

Again, thanks for taking the time to respond and give me the push I needed to do this.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Ethos, I love that you're trying out yoga! I have used yoga, meditation and mindfulness as my main support in my recovery - so much so that I am actually now a yoga instructor. Bikram is a really intense series. I'm definitely not discouraging you from trying it because it might be something you completely love. But if you're an avid runner yoga is likely going to be more challenging for you. Running shortens your muscles making you light and springy, while yoga works to lengthen your muscles. Yoga is an awesome practice to balance your running and will probably do wonders for your distance runs. Just remember if Bikram isn't your style, there are so many other lineages - Hatha, Vinyasa, and Yin to name a few. And there are also heated yoga classes that do not follow the grueling Bikram sequence (which is always the same each time). I'm excited for you to experience yoga asana. Yoga has the potential to change your body, mind and soul. It literally helped save my life. xoxo
Old 02-06-2014, 12:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

I'm really glad you're going to give it a try Ethos. I get such a sense of achievement and exhilaration every time I try something new in sobriety and find I really enjoy/value it.

I've never tried Bikram yoga. I prefer pilates to yoga so here's hoping someone invents Bikram pliates lol.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

love Bikram! I wish we had it here.

I do one called "Hot Power Flow" now. Not quite as hot or as intensive as Bikram but still very nice.

I love the cleansing, stretching release of hot yoga.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My daughter does it and loves it!! She said she felt very relaxed after!!
Old 02-06-2014, 03:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Honestly the regular yoga is hot enough. It makes you sweat more and feel lightheaded...isn't better in any way
Old 02-06-2014, 04:18 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
LDT

I am a devoted yoga practitioner....I go to class at least 4 times a week, and can't recommend it enough. Is there a way you could go to some beginner classes before trying Bikram? ( it's fairly intense. ). If not, there are many youtube practices available. Check it out . Good luck!
Old 02-06-2014, 04:30 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

I would recommend starting with regular yoga first. The heat of Bikram can make you feel more flexible than you actually are, which can lead to injuries.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:30 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I think yoga is great. Regardless of which type you choose drink water and don't eat before you go.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:38 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

The thing I love about yoga is that, at least where I practice, no one is judging me, at least that I am aware of. Everyone is very focused on their own practice. Also, I have found others to be helpful when I need help.

My advice is to get there early and get a spot in the BACK of the room so you can see everyone and know what to do. And let the instructor know you have never done yoga before. He/she will help you modify poses if necessary.

Have fun!
Old 02-06-2014, 03:53 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Not Bikrim per we, but Vinyasa hot 92 degree F in the studio. Sessions are 1:45 long. I took two private lessons to understand the three pose sequences. The sweating goes away in three weeks too or at least profuse sweat. I believe yoga is elixir for the soul.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:55 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hot yoga is AMAZING! I used to go to a morning class once a week before I moved to this crappy little town. Bring a towel and a big water bc you sweat A LOT. Like, way more than you sweat in a sauna. My first time I was sweating in places I didn't know could sweat lol. It feels great tho. You feel light and clean and refreshed after. Making me wish I could find a class!