Notices

Day 2

Old 02-05-2014, 12:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 2

Hello, So it's my second day without a drink. I'm 37 and I have a beautiful wife and a perfect almost two year old daughter. I need to do this. I don't remember when my drinking became a problem. I think I've been drinking everyday for at least 5 years now. It's funny because I didn't really think it was a problem, I was just having a few drinks after work. Then slowly my wife started pointing out that even though I didn't appear drunk the night before, half of the bottle was gone. And she was right, I didn't feel drunk, I had stopped getting drunk, even though I was drinking more. Still I kept drinking. Even when I would sneak into the kitchen at night and chug a few mouthfuls of whiskey, I told my self that I'm helping myself to sleep. Then I stopped drinking whiskey and started on wine and beer. One bottle became two, plus a six pack or more, and I started feeling hungover again, oddly enough, so back to whiskey, which I felt was better for me?? But I can't keep doing this. I'm not sure if I feel ok. I'm nervous and want to go for a run, weird energy, I know I couldn't run a few blocks. I'm not sure if the cramps and stomach pains are what I imagine I'm suppose to feel or if I'm feeling them. I guess it doesn't matter. I just want a beer. I'm in between jobs so I figured now is as good a time than ever to straighten things out, get my self straight. My heart is in it, but I'm afraid I'm losing my mind. Sorry for the rambling. Thanks for listening. J
Old 02-05-2014, 01:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Originally Posted by lolstein View Post
Hello, So it's my second day without a drink. I'm 37 and I have a beautiful wife and a perfect almost two year old daughter. I need to do this. I don't remember when my drinking became a problem. I think I've been drinking everyday for at least 5 years now. It's funny because I didn't really think it was a problem, I was just having a few drinks after work. Then slowly my wife started pointing out that even though I didn't appear drunk the night before, half of the bottle was gone. And she was right, I didn't feel drunk, I had stopped getting drunk, even though I was drinking more. Still I kept drinking. Even when I would sneak into the kitchen at night and chug a few mouthfuls of whiskey, I told my self that I'm helping myself to sleep. Then I stopped drinking whiskey and started on wine and beer. One bottle became two, plus a six pack or more, and I started feeling hungover again, oddly enough, so back to whiskey, which I felt was better for me?? But I can't keep doing this. I'm not sure if I feel ok. I'm nervous and want to go for a run, weird energy, I know I couldn't run a few blocks. I'm not sure if the cramps and stomach pains are what I imagine I'm suppose to feel or if I'm feeling them. I guess it doesn't matter. I just want a beer. I'm in between jobs so I figured now is as good a time than ever to straighten things out, get my self straight. My heart is in it, but I'm afraid I'm losing my mind. Sorry for the rambling. Thanks for listening. J
Yes, do it now, while you have the chance. Great idea! I remember sneaking into the kitchen for chugs of booze very well. xxx
Old 02-05-2014, 02:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah....I remember living alone but for some reason STILL hiding bottles all over my house. wtf? I used to dump out bottled water and refill them with vodka. And YES!!! Since you are between jobs...now is the time. Maybe an inpatient program? Only lasts 28 days or so. Seems like a small part of your life to trade for sobriety. My prayers are with you and your family.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You've come to a very friendly and supportive site. I hope the support here can help you get sober for good.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi lolstein - welcome

sounds to me like you have some excellent reasons to stay sober - you'll find a lot of support and encouragement here

do you have any kind of a plan on how to stay sober?

D