Notices

Sobriety is a Lifestyle!!

Old 02-04-2014, 05:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sobriety is a Lifestyle!!

What are we? Normal you say, what even is that? A person that can consume alcohol responsibly, maintaining control, always in control, but is anyone ever in control as we consume the liquid, poisonous to any organism, our livers, kidneys work overtime to expel such a toxic liquid the moment it enters, get it out quick before it causes damage, metabolise is the official word.

We take a drink, and another, and another, when do we stop, we don’t, we continue, drink after drink, embarrassing moments, something we said, something we did, but our friends won’t remember either the night’s antics, in the morning got off scot free, there is no embarrassment, this weekend we’ll do it all again.

But no, the weekend is too far away, weekday drinking, morning drinking, afternoon drinking, daily drinking, this becomes the norm and we cannot stop it, spiralling down a rabbit hole that couldn’t have been imagined many years ago, but we are here, we are that person, we have that addiction.

Normal becomes but an excuse to have that one last fling with our nemesis alcohol, do we really want to stop, commit to a Sober life, maybe just one more time, what can it hurt, I’m quitting anyway, tomorrow, but tomorrow becomes next week, next month, after my birthday, after my anniversary, new year’s eve, the day after thanksgiving, it goes on and on, our denial. The fact is we have a problem and we need to stop now, we convince ourselves we are normal, I don’t need to quit today, but we really do.

The boredom kicks in, I’ve been Sober for 24hrs, how am I gonna live, my friends will disown me, how can I have a social life, alcohol was the centre of my universe, well newsflash everyone, alcohol was killing you and you need to find a lifestyle that doesn’t facilitate the poison, that toxic substance of alcohol, the choice is ours, we either die or we start living a life without alcohol, easy? No, it’ll take effort, perseverance, handwork, but it’ll be worth it, excuses are unacceptable, make it work, alcohol is not apart of your life, make it happen.

Who wants to be normal anyways? This normal means waking up with a hangover, going to the doctor and being told your liver is shot, waking up with indigestion, gastritis or gallstones, is this the normal we seek?

My friends, Sobriety is not something that we do on weekdays, or weekends, we do not pre-empt relapses through parties or attending clubs, we hold fast through our conviction to be Sober, we have realised moderation is not an option, that one glass, that one beer, that one dram is never going to work, and so we seek out an existence without alcohol.

It takes courage, it takes strength, but most of all it takes support, SR is here for you!!
Old 02-04-2014, 05:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Damn straight, Purpleknight. "Lifestyle" really is the key word. I was thinking yesterday that I'm ready to guard my sobriety with my life. I won't give it up for no one, not for anything, no party, no "slip," no drama. I've said it many times here, I don't care if the 4 Horsemen of the Apocalypse are riding up my driveway, I ain't drinking. Period. If the doc tells me tomorrow that I have a week to live, I'm gonna live it sober, with clear eyes and a clear mind. period. There is no going back. There can't be. The only thing back there is a grave. I have to be in this mind frame. I'm sorry if this sounds sanctimonious, but I gotta be in 150% to pull this off.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm on my 3rd day and had a craving. I realized that it wasn't that I even wanted to be drunk... I had become so accustomed to drinking that pounding shots all night then waking up horribly dehydrated and hungover actually seemed like a normal state. That scares me.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Stick with it dogged - it gts better
Thanks for the post PK

D