Notices

Time to start over - My 10 day plan

Old 02-04-2014, 04:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Time to start over - My 10 day plan

Well, I was sober for around 2.5 months. It started with a few drinks, and has now inched it's way up to nearly where I was back in early october. I knew it was bad when I had to spend an entire day home because of anxiety and feeling off because I hadn't had a drink in a few hours. I had to have my GF drive me to a liquor store to "straighten" out. It's was just sad.

I've planned to wean off before, but this time, I think I can commit to it.

Tomorrow, I start that plan. 10% fewer drinks per day, for 10 days. This enables me to still have a glass of wine come valentines day when I'll be out at a nice restaurant.

This forum really helped me last time, but this is the first time I'll be doing it sans detox drugs. I think if I can make it to day 5, I should be able to do it. If I fail, I will just have to man up and see the doctor again.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by 4Change View Post
This enables me to still have a glass of wine come valentines day when I'll be out at a nice restaurant.
I wish you well with your plan, but in my opinion, this is not a helpful thought process when you are trying to stop drinking. There is always a reason to drink and always a reason to put off stopping.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sorry 4change but I agree with Anna.

I really don;t believe recovery is something you can have an each way bet on.

Can you see the problem here?

It started with a few drinks, and has now inched it's way up to nearly where I was back in early october.
This enables me to still have a glass of wine come valentines day when I'll be out at a nice restaurant.
D
Old 02-04-2014, 04:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah, no offense but that just ain't gonna work. Tapering is almost impossible because as long as you're putting any in it, your body craves your normal level. You might make it a few days before you're back to normal.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The date actually just happen to fall on V day. I just happen to be deciding to make a plan today.

I think the only way I can stop at this point in time is to either go see the doc again, or to wean myself off. I know I can't stop cold turkey and I can't take 3-4 days off work.

I'm doing this so I'm not foggy in the mornings and so I don't feel like crap during the day antsy for my next drink to calm my nerves.

My goal is to come off, seek support, and never drink again. I know now that I'm very much the same as most of us seeking recovery (full blown alcoholics, even when not drinking).

I miss the days I had when I was sober where I could do anything. I started doing things I hadn't done before and I enjoyed my fog free head and no jitters. I made the mistake of not going back to the doc to talk about my anxiety again after I had gotten sober and when I had something very stressful happen in my life, I hit the only drug I could get my hands on. Won't make that mistake again if this work.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

And I know it rarely works for people, but I've got to try.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I tried SO HARD to taper. I couldn't. That said, I wish you all the luck and support I can send.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I was with you all the way up to the part about being able to still have a glass of wine on Valentine's Day, that's when you lost me. I understand that Valentine's Day just happened to fall during the 10 day, -10% plan so I get that but my problem is that you're going in with a mindset that a glass of wine for Valentine's Day is comforting, it's part of a nice evening out on Valentine's Day. You need to have the mindset that "you can't drink". That "drinking isn't the key to having a nice time". That may sound ridiculous to you now but it may be key to why back in October you just started with a few drinks. Your hanging on to illusion that you and alcohol can be "part time" partners. You need to get to the point where you and sobriety are full time friends!!
Old 02-04-2014, 06:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It's not the first drink that makes you an alcoholic. It's the 100 that follow.

There's always an excuse to drink... And always a much better reason not to.

Good luck, but you're trying a dangerous path.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Imo, the obsession can never be lifted without lifting it. You are still planning your next drink. Your addiction loves that. The real test will be after the 10 days. It's easy to "quit" when are already planning your next drink, and your next and your next...
Old 02-04-2014, 07:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I tried to taper down many times and always failed because I was still drinking. The only way for me to go was to just stop. If the taper doesn't work you can always see your doctor for his/her help.